Do the direction of the subs in a car matter??? Forward vs backward?

Username: Dusty11185

Post Number: 2
OK so i have a car that im going to put two 15's in. Im a bit confused on the best direction to have the subs face. Keep in mind i plan on having the subs in a sealed box, if that matters at all -Is it better to have them face away from the driver, towards the trunk.. If i built it that way, there would be a small gap between the top of the box and the top of the roof of the trunk, to let air pass though. - Or is it better to just face them toward the driver, considering they will be slightly tilted toward the roof, but for the most part, facing the front of the car? - or are there perks and downfalls to both???

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1372
if you have the time.. also, be sure to continue on to pg 2
http://installer.com/tech/aiming.html

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 219
he talks about forwards in backwards, but what about facing a sub straight up to the top of the trunk, or should i say hatch, since my cars a hatchback

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 94
The distance the bass travels changes with the direction you face the subs, you end up with cancelation somewhere and turning them around can change the frequency that cancels out. You also get compression loading bye facing them towards the back of the trunk, this can be altered to an extent bye how far away from the back they are. In compression loading, the subs aren't just exciting the air directin in front of them, they're moving a big "pillow" of air behind them this tends to make them play louder. I say aim them towards the back, then if you get curious aim them foward, chances are you'll end up spinning them right back around.

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 95
hmm now i feel stupid, Mikes link explains that in more depth than I ever could. Good job Mike!

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 222
but none of you are explainin facing them straight up which is what i want to know... ive read backwards 100 times, ive read forwards 100 times, but what about sticking them right on their back facing the top of their car, since it would be alot easier to make a ported box like that then a wedge box and port it, since im limited on room

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 258
my subs in my car are in a box facing up and they sound awesome. it was the only way i could fit 3 12's in my car.the installer who built my box said that upfiring boxes tend to hit a little harder then normal boxes. the only thing is you don't want to open your trunk and play the subs loud b/c it might damage the subs b/c they have nothing to fire off of the sounds just goes straight up in the air.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1375
your explanation i think is the best brian. start facing towards the back, then switch them around until you're pleased. i did it with every box i had in my rodeo and always ended up rear-firing. couldn't have explained it more precisely. i just figured a thorough write up might be valuable for explanations and test results..
however, if you are having the box built permanently, i can understand. i can only speak from experience and concur with xman. facing up still sounds great (in my truck).

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us