Multiple speakers in one box

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 111
i want to put 4 8" speakers in my trunk all in one box and the thing is is that the box's out side measurements can only be up to 35"L and 12.5"H the depth dont matter now the picture showed is an idea of how i want it to look but it is not to scall the speakers well be closer together and the top 2 well be a little bit lower but i want the simble there for what ever size it has to be i want it there

four 8's with jl simble

Now my question is is it realy neccasary that i have indavidual chambers for each speaker because that is a lot to build and to cram it so close

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2079
nope no need.
they can share the airspace as long as all four drivers are wired up and working together.
if one fails, that's when you'd have problems.
that's all
one chamber is fine
you could also do a false floor and have all 4 firing upward..

Silver Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 112
well my idea is to use 2 amps they well be the same amp and even bought at the same time they well be mono too but would i be able to tune the amps close enough to make all the drivers work the same as you say i would need to when they are all in the same box

but only if there is a chance of that i can make that box into 2 chambers with eeez

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2130
personally, I'd divide the box.. but yeah you can still get away with a single chamber if ya want it lighter.
remember, that divider will reinforce the box, too.. making it stiffer.
that's a good thing.

Silver Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 115
ya i could give each there own air space but thats alot of work so i am just going to divide the box in half

now speaking of air space would i take the air space for one driver and times it by 2 for a box that has 2 of the same drivers in it or is there another and better way to calculate the air space

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2171
yup just double it
and half is good. that way each amp has its own pair of subs separated.. if one amp shuts off it won't affect the subs on the other amp in their own space.
also the divider will brace the box internally.

Silver Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 119
one other thing whight is not a factor infact the heavier it is the better to me becuase my car is rear wheel drive and i have no whieght in the back so it spins the tired all the time and slides all over the place

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2216
heavy is good
more density, more weight, less resonance.
also try bolting the box down in some way if possible.
3/4" MDF is ideal for the box material.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us