Freakin Dissapointed please help

Username: Spanmike

Culmore, VA U.S.

Post Number: 1
wuttup dudes, I just have to get clear with some of this, Electrical bs with my car, and i really hope you guys can help me a bit.
First of all ill give you my audio system profile:
2 12" Pioneer subs 400W each
1 BOLT amp 800W 2 channel
the box, and the cables....
the first time i installed this system to my old car, (a plymouth, voyager 90), it worked marvelous, the sound was sick nice, and there was no electrical problems that i found whatsoever.
Few months ago i had to buy a newer car, whi is a Honda accord 93.
now this really sucks now, i installed my system the same way i installed it before, the only difference now was that this car has a trunk unlike my old van.
but its so freakin nasty
ever since i had my subs working, my lights would dim almost like two blinking eyes, the sound just bumps and doesnt HIT anymore.
and plus my car goes off every once in a while, believe me its really awful when your car stalls in an interstate highway, I live in DC dudes, and people really hate traffic jam makers.
Now ive almost tried everithing i KNOW of this kinda stuff, my dad said that the problems with my car going off, was the RELAY, which supposly sucks in all Honda Accords,I changed it, and the damn car still gopes off. I bought a new battery. and the car still goes off.
PLEASE what the hell can i do??, because im really thinkin of dumping this car

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4006
Have you checked out your alternator? If you've had it checked out, and replaced your battery, then your problem has nothing to do with your system. You could have a short somewhere, or an electrical component might be shot on the engine. It's hard to tell without looking at the car personally. Have the electrical system checked out by a shop.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2477
Sounds like you need a HO alternator. Get your Alternator checked out. If its about to die then you need to upgrade to a bigger one. Go to www.excessiveamperage.com and see what nathan can do for you. Good place to start

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4990
Miguel, do you have car problem when the amp is off? When does it occur? During heavy bass?
Most likely, you made a mistake with the wiring or there is a short somewhere.
If you have DMM, use it to find the problem. Measure all wires for shorts. Check the voltage coming from the wires to the amp.
You own an old car. Back in 93, most cars had 60A or lower stock alternator. That'll leave you like 10A-15A max to play with.

Culmore, VA U.S.

Post Number: 2
Thanks you very mcuh you guys, i think im kinda getting it now, this amp thing got me. actually my amps are directly connected to my radio, so that it goes on everytime my radio is on.
and the problem comes everytime i use HEAVY bass, because its been 3 days since ive had the stereo completely off, and my car hasnt had any problems. but i think you could be probably right with the cabling Isaac, because i have a few cables that look kinda torn, im gonna try rewiring the system all over, and ill look for a better alternator( u guys can recommend me any good one for a Honda Accord 93?)

THX angain, Miguel!!

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 384
In a trunk, it's not going to slam like it did in a van, unless you put your back seats down so the speakers share the same chamber with you.

Also, it really sounds like you're drawing far too much power.. the headlights are a telltale sign. Try driving around for around 1-2 hours, then play your system heavy, and see if the vehicle still stalls. (this will give the batteries time to charge up.)

Also, what's your volt meter showing in the dash? how low? Are you using a deep cycle battery? If not, you've probably destroyed your battery, and it'll kill your alternator next, if it's not already your alternator that's the problem.

Seth

Culmore, VA U.S.

Post Number: 3
lol damn that sounds scarry Seth, im not really sure aboiut the voltmeter tho, its because my honda is Manual, and for some reason i dont have a voltmeter displayed on the gauges. but ill take it to the mechanic, i should chek both my battery and alt, hoping theyre not dead as you say :-(.
THX tho

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 437
You may also have a loose ground or power wire. Your ground should be bolted to the car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us