Looking to break 150dbs with 2 12" subs

oldscutty
Unregistered guest
Wanting to spend around $300-400 or so. I want an sql system, but I'm thinking of doing the interchangable port thing...any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 317
$300-400 on subs alone? 150db is gunna be tough unless you're a hell of a box builder..especially with the price range you have.

oldscutty
Unregistered guest
what about something like pioneer spl 3000 series subs? Or maybe an orion H2? btw the $300-400 is just for subs. I figure I can get close at least. I've seen 10" type r's hit around 144dbs in a Grand Am... and I would assume that 2 12" pioneer spl subs would out do 2 10" r types

oldscutty
Unregistered guest
what about something like pioneer spl 3000 series subs? Or maybe an orion H2? btw the $300-400 is just for subs. I figure I can get close at least. I've seen 2 10" type r's hit around 144dbs in a Grand Am... and I would assume that 2 12" pioneer spl subs would out do 2 10" r types

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 319
The Type R subs are actually pretty loud..probably better SPL subs than the 3000 series as they can handle tons of power..it's all install dependant man..you can run 2 12" 5000SPLs and not even break a 145 in a shitty box. How good are you at box building? Any experience at all?

oldscutty
Unregistered guest
Well I work at a car audio place...I can design easy, but building I have people do for me/help me out. I've been using calculators from www.carstereo.com to calculate port size/lenght for tuning as well as volume based on the ts parameters of the subs I've done so far. But you think the type r speakers are better for spl than the pioneer 3000s? If so, I have a type r 1221...dual 2 ohm vc. I want to do two subs, so maybe I should just get another of the 1221 r types...only problem is that I've thought of that and I can't find them anywhere...not an ebay or anything...any suggestions? And also, are the new r-types a lot better than the old ones? I might just sell my old one and go with 2 of the new ones...

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 508
Why does everyone think it is so easy to hit 150 in there car? You do not understand how hard it is to hit 150 in any application. I can tell you how to hit 150 with 1 12" woofer but i doubt you want to spend 2 grand on the woofer and another 4 for the amps to run it also the alts youll needf oh yeah the batteries and all the wiring. So if your planning on hitting 150 with 3-400 you might as well take another prozac and go back to sleep because you are dreaming.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1465
lmao...Oso,

thats kinda harsh...but 100% true. the truth is if you are doing 150+...its usually not w/ a daily system.

140dB plenty loud enough for daily. (unless you are competing)

oldscutty
Unregistered guest
mmmmm....prozac. JK. Yeah guys I know its not exactly easy to hit 150+. I'm not an idiot. However I have seen cars do 149 with a single 12" shocker and a rockford bd1501. Nothing special. Total system cost of unde a grand, typical looking box, round port, etc...So if someone wants to tell me an sql-ish sub that will beat out an r type or a pioneer 3000 spl sub that doesn't cost an orm leg then let me know lol.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 354
maybe(i say maybe cause its gonna be hard) an RE MT could hit that if you design a well enough box and that sub is liek what 400-500 at most

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 288
SPL systems in general are completely useless unless they are to be used only for competitions. If you want a system that you can listen to music with then i would not recommend trying to hit 150. You would never even be listening to music at that high of an SPL level, and if you did, the music would sound like krap and it is obviously not good for your hearing. I would take an SQ system over an SPL system any day, as the purpose of subs is to provide bass for music, and it needs to blend in naturally. Like i said, if you want to hit 150, do it as a pure SPL comp setup, not as a DD because it will be useless because it is made purely to get loud. Unless you dont really feel like listening to music with it, then skrew the idea of hitting 150 if you ask me. Unless you get extremely good SQL subs, but even then, you would have to adjust the bass down alot lower then it is capable of to make it blend in properly. Just my 2cents.

oldscutty
Unregistered guest
only problem with the mt is that it would require some ridiculously large amps. i was hoping to keep it at 1500 rms or so...so yea lets just throw out the 150 and shoot for like 145-150 ish. I could always get me some kicker L5s. but I want a nice sounding sub as well. I've heard that the L5s dont last that long though...anyone have any experience with the Kappa Perfect VQs? Those looked liek pretty decent subs...

oldscutty
Unregistered guest
well post ho...you make a good point. I guess I want loud and good sounding...loudest best possible sounding subs, 2 12's....I have come up with the choices I want...R type, Kappa Perfect VQ, Kicker L5, Pioneer 3000 SPL. I know the L5 will be the loudest with the worst sq, I have an r type and its decent but not as clean as the older perfects which leads me to believe that the newer VQs would sound as loud as a type r because of the variable q, and also cleaner. However I have no first hand use of either the Perfect VQs or the Pioneer 3000 spl. I know that the pioneer is designed for spl. So yeah...in all honesty I wish I could get ahold of the money to buy 2 RE XXX 12's and a massive amp...but I dont. I would most definately consider going with a single sub if someone could name one that they think would be better than two of the ones I already listed.

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 99
A single 12in JL W7 will do it on a BD1501, and it will burn out doing it I've seen this in person. I hit 150.6 with a pair of Soundstream SPL mules in a pair of vented boxes being fed off of a Punch 300S each, but you wouldn't want to listen to that setup every day, it sucked! At the same show a guy in a Nissan SUV with a pair of 13.5in W7's and 2 of the big Xtant mono amplifiers only hit 153. There were maybe 5 of us total out of 30 that broke 150 that day, I had the lowest watts out of everyone and my system was unusable for daily listening so I'de say if you want to spend that little on subs, have them as daily driver listeners, and break 150 you've got a tall order on your hands.

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 100
PS don't even mess with the L5's or L7's those are over rated, fail often, and are a silly design unless you're stuffing like 8 of them in a flat panel or some crap.

oldscutty
Unregistered guest
lol thanks guys. what about the other subs? alpine r types, pioneer 3000 series, or kappa perfect vqs? I can get all of those cheap...so yeah any thoughts? I have an r type now like i said, its an older model that is dual 2-ohms..i think i'm hitting around 140 or so with it now...maybe I should try to find another one of those and then build a big box...any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 158
You are probably not hitting 140 on a TL with 1 old type R. With 2 new 12" type Rs hitting 145 is pretty possible but 150 will take alot of work. Personally i wouldnt try and shoot for 150 because its very unlikely. Im not trying to sound harsh but its the truth.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us