Speaker static

dave c001
Unregistered guest
I have a 93 nissan sentra that I just wanted to replace the blown factory speakers with some inexpensive aftermarket speakers. I got pioneer 6 1/2 for the rear and 4X6 for the front, just basice 2-way speakers cost for all 4 about 100 dollars. The speakers have quite a buzzing sound, mounted in the door or just holding them in my hand. I tried new wire, and new cd/reciever, same problem, oh and three sets of speakers so I am pretty sure at this point that the speakers are not the problem. the mounting is solid, i even packed foam around the speakers and that did not help. I am ready to chuck the whole thing and just get some cheap paper cones at pep boys if I cannot get decent sound. As you can tell I am not looking for the high power, just something clean to listen to in my back and forth to work car. I appreciate any help on this subject.

Anonymous

This is pretty obvious but just double check the speaker connections to make sure you don't have the (+) and (-) hooked up backwards. It'd be a dumb mistake to make, but one I've made none the less. And it does make the speakers buzz.

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 38
having the positive and negatives hooked up backwards on all the speakers will cause you NO noticable difference in sound. I am guessing your radio isn't grounded out, take the black ground from the radio and ground it to one of the screws that is touching the metal that holds the radio into the dash. Nissans don't have ground leads in the dash, but the wiring for them has it on there. People hook them up and they work because they get a super weak ground through the antenna.

dave c001
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply's, I will try grounding the radio I noticed it is not grounded to the chassis although there is a ground wire in the wiring harness to the radio. I do have the speaker wiring harness so I have ruled out the reversed + & - wiring, plus I have tried switching the wires on the speakers already. Is that why the antenna has 2 leads on it...because it gets the radio ground through the antenna?

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 45
Antenna jackets (the outer ring) are always a ground. I suppose the factory radio may ground to the other lead though, I always just did a good chassis ground to something metal in the dash, even on cars that have the ground in the factory harness I usually do this to prevent noise problems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us