Attaching amp to sub box

Bronze Member
Username: Mattc6465

Post Number: 39
i read somewhere that it was bad for the amp to be attached to the sub enclosure b/c of the vibrations or something along those lines. did i miss read or is this true?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 744
for the majority of installs, its not a huge problem. I've done it plenty of times with modest installs and its never been a problem (that I know of)

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2106
It depends on the thickness of the box. If you build from 3/4" or thicker MDF with good bracing you should be fine. It also depends where and how you mount the amp to the box, if you can at least add wood braces between the amp and box, it would help as well. Check www.bcae1.com under tab 23. 'Amplifiers' for mounting locations.

It isn't the vibration that causes the components in an amp to come loose or break, but the flexing of the box itself.

Also, if you mount the amp to the box, it's easier for someone to steal both simultaneously without as much effort-just something to think about.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 745
very true, but at the same time, its easier for you take out when you need the room for other stuff in your car. It all depends on your car and how you plan to use your system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us