Components that are high quality and good price(opinions)

Bronze Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 53
what are some good component speakers??

if i have 2 12" subs and i want more high notes would i go with components since the tweeter is positioned out of the speaker???

what are some good components, i am looking at either 5.25 inch or 6.5 inch, and i am not having my amp power them... HU

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2071
You want your new speakers to be powered off the headunit, but want them to overpower the bass?

To be honest, you really will need an external amp if you want to notice that big of a difference...unless the speakers are just OEM.

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 54
no, sorry you didnt understand me. My 12's have a ton of bass and i cannot hear the high notes too much so i was wondering if i should go with components to hear the highs better in the music since my bass overpowers the highs.

i want it to be powered by the HU so what are some good components in either 5.25 inch or 6.5 inch?? i dont really know much about components, do i just stick with the regualr infinity and pioneer?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2075

quote:

My 12's have a ton of bass and i cannot hear the high notes too much so i was wondering if i should go with components to hear the highs better in the music since my bass overpowers the highs.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

It doesn't matter what speakers you get, the bass will still drown them out until you get an external amp for them. Otherwise, your best option is to just get a pair of tweeters and run them off the front speakers-but it's going to be really harsh treble, not very smooth sounding.

Of course you can still get a nice set of speakers but they'll sound just average with-once again-harsh treble.

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 59
components are very loud sounding in the "Highs" because the tweeter is nexy to your ear, this is better than a regualr speaker because in a regular speaker the tweeter is inside the woofer not next to your ear... so wouldnt a compnent give you more highs?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2087
Ahh, that's the soundstage. And yes, that is one of the reasons they will sound better.

Really, though, you might try a set of tweeters instead of a whole new component set. I did that a few years ago and the improvement was very noticeable. And it was all off the headunit amp. But the improvement from the headunit amp to an external amp is extremely better, the highs and mids equalled the bass coming from the subs.

But what I really want to know is 1)What headunit do you have? and 2) What speakers do you have? That would really help...

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 67
i have a brand new kenwood cd player (KDC-128)
and i have some old technics speakers from a while ago...

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 68
and 2 12" comp vr's

Anonymous

you should be able to power the components off your deck and have it still sound way better than your current speakers. If the subs are still drowning it out too much, just turn the gain on your amp down a bit. Sacrificing a little bass will probably be better for you than having to buy another amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 61
Buy a lower line component set if you want to run it off your deck, they won't be as clean or handle as much power as the higher models but they will probably be more efficient and therefore louder with your limited power. You can get a Phoenix Gold Octane, Infinity Reference, JBL, or Cadence component set off of eBay for quite a bargain I'de say around 75 bucks. You other consideration would be coaxial speakers, this would reduce your install time and provide an improvement in what you've got now, basically anything quality is going to be a big improvement over what you have. Just keep in mind if you're powering them off the deck you don't need them to handle alot of power so save some money and go with a quality manufacturers lower line of speakers.

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 75
should i stick with infinity and kenwood for speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4960
The idea of a component system isn't to stick the tweeter inches away from your ear, not without tuning anyway. Ideally you will have the tweeter close to the midbass driver for optimal integration of the drivers. Most of the mid in door, tweeter in pillar right beside your ear types of setups sound exactly like a poorly recorded rap song, Boom-tick-tick-Boom is about all you're going to get out of it. Most of the "highs" that are lacking have their fundamental frequency in the midrange, a tweeter produces harmonics more than actual music. It is also due to the lack of midbass and lowbass out of the components, without good bass output the components will not integrate with the subwoofers well at all. Our ears are most sensitive to midrange frequencies, namely 1-2khz. This is where most percieved loudness occurs. If you plan to run off a head unit, a cheap system is all that will be powered well from it. High end car audio systems typically use higher order passive crossovers, which are very lossy due to the electrical components. They also use cones that are damped better, which makes them heavier in the process and less efficient. Basically, an efficient driver must be light (poorly damped), use light suspension and surrounds, use minimal crossovers which has a negative effect on sound quality, have a short voice coil to reduce mass, which limits excursion and potential loudness. This is why the typical Pioneer coaxial gets pretty loud off a head unit, but doesn't sound great or have a lot of output when power is put on it. If you want to mate with your subs, you're going to have to put power on the components you intend to get. Otherwise, cheap coaxials are your only hope of getting somewhat loud off a head unit. I hate to be so blunt, but it's just the truth.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4987
Sounds like you know your rap Jonathan.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 63
as my friend always put it "it's that ting ting tingy music". Jonathan's basically saying exactly what I was but more in depth. If this is your first system you'll be happy with the coaxials for now and I'de recommend Kenwoods over infinity coaxials, though they're basically the same. Cadence has Coaxials on eBay (5.25's) for 24 bucks plus shipping that have neodymium magnets and a sweet tweeter setup, this would be what i'de go with if I were building someone a starter system.

Unregistered guest
I currently have an expedition, with all the stock speakers replaced w/pioneers? on all doors. They r running on a weak sony 600 which I am in the process of replacing. This started out as my old ladies ride a year ago so I didn;t drop too much coin on it. Now, however we got her a G35, and I was reluctant to give up the big body so now I have to up-grade. Here is what I want to accomplish(for any one who cares enough to read on I appriciate it) 1. I have an Audiobahn 12 running off a directed mono block. Amp is great , just crumbled in the entire cone area of the sub. It needs to be replaced. 2. that sorry excuse for an amp(sony 600) gots to go, along with those sh#$% pioneers. 6x8's are the stock size in the doors, Ialso want to put 6-6.5's in the back pillar. For the riders in the 3rd row next to the booms. What type of amp(wattage/brand) for the door speakers, and coaxals or components? I just banged a curb w/2 tires and at 375 apiece for the 24's I'm a little budget sensitive. $500-$1000---12"sub,3 sets of mids/highs, and an amp to push them. Any advice? Not like I am asking a lot!

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 65
This should be in it's own thread but it kind of pertains to what's going on here. Sticking with a theme here's sone links to what you could buy.
Directed 4 channel amp:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIRECTED-AUDIO-A1004-AMP-4-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER-1000W-NEW_W0QQi temZ5826089308QQcategoryZ4950QQcmdZViewItem
Directed 6X8's:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIRECTED-AUDIO-S680-5x7-6x8-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-SET-NEW_W0QQit emZ5826085594QQcategoryZ18800QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Diamond 12:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D612D2-D6-SUBWOOFER-12-SUB-WOOFER-NEW-05_W0QQi temZ5824001096QQcategoryZ18803QQcmdZViewItem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us