2 channel vs 4 channel

Silver Member
Username: Need4bass

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 139
I have a full size crew cab PU. Will be installing CDT comps in the front and rear doors. (HDs in the front, classics in the rear). My question is: What are your thoughts and just using a 2 channel amp for the front stage and just using the HU to power the rear for fill? I was originally looking at a 4 channel but, don't know if I need to supply that much power for rear fill. Thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1776
I'd get a 4 chan , trying to push rears with HU will not make it sound as good as it could

Silver Member

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 145
It just seems like a waste to have 2 150W channels dedicated to rear fill.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1780
Depends on your personal tastes .Some of the guys on this forum will insist that u do not/never put any rear fill but I LIKE REAR FILL SOUNDS - to me having non is like there is a gap in the cabin with no sound coming out the middle & like i'm left wanting more fuller sounds .

Just thought of this too - if u are gonna power those off the HU then u would have to lower your amps gains to match it to your speakers .
Still IMO - get the 4 chan if u find that its too strong u can power off the HU but if its too weak then u would have to go spending mo $ to buy a 2nd amp ......

Silver Member

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 146
I aggree, I definitly want rear fill. I like the JL 450.4 because it's 150 x2 for the fronts and 75x2 for the rears. But then I get into the brand batching thing again (another thread). For not much more than the JL I can get the MMATS SW4150 which is 4x150. Right now I stuck between the MMATS, JL and just sticking with Alpine and getting the MRV-F545, especially since I already have the MRD-M1005.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1784
yea - i remember your posts , don't get caught up in brand matching or u'll drive yourself nuts trying to get a perfect match !

I'd say get the best brand u can afford ...

Click on my profile u will every piece i'm getting will be diferent but in my case i got a wagon so i'm putting the same exact 6.5 comp in each door for that 'surround sound' feeling . I can't get my type R ordered this yr again so i'm stuck using my current Pioneer TSW306DVC subs .

The only company i can see that u can make an entire system with an all round good brand would be Alpine - cause Jl/Mmats/Zapco/Xtant etc doesn't make HUs . Pioneer?Premier makes great HUs but their other stuff is just as not good as Alpine .....

Silver Member

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 150
I'm just looking to keep my 2 amps the same, the rest can vary.

Silver Member

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 151
The problem too is that I CAN afford a good bit, but I only spend maybe 30 minutes a day in my vehicle. Don't compete and don't have any friends that could tell the difference between a Zapco and a Spark-O-Matic!

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1785
yea in my case too -
funny thing my car stereo will end up like 5 or 6 times what i paid for my Logitech pc speakers set up which is very satisfying yet in car u always want more !

Zapco is really expensive , JL would be 2nd in price & quality but Mmats is no pyramid either , they are really good quality product thats more affordable than Z/JL so thats what i'd pick .

My bro has a 2000wrms @ 1ohm amp we are seriously considering installing a pair of 12s Mmats P3 700wrms each in his 92' Sentra sedan ! ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us