Change speakers or wait ?

01hegt
Unregistered guest
Need some advice. I have Polk db650's "6 1/2" in the rear deck of my 01' Hyundai Elantra GT. About a month ago I noticed a small popping/clicking sound coming from them. At first the noise wasn't loud but as time when on it became worst. Thinking there was a problem with the speaker itself I bought a pair of MB Quart DKE 116's. As soon as I was about to replace the Polks the noise disappeared. I don't know why the distortion came and went but I did go as far as removing the rear deck and unhooking the speaker plug from the harness. I didn't removed the speakers because I was outside and it started to rain. But, after doing that much, that's when the noise disappeared and they have been working fine since then. My questions are these:

What was happening to the speaker?

Could've been a short and can it damage the speakers?

Should I just go ahead a change them because from what I been reading the MB's are better anyway?

Wait and see if the noise reappeares and have it cheaked out?

I welcome any advice to this problem, Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Need4bass

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 108
Could very well be a short. It most likely won't damage the speaker but, it could damage the device it is connected to. (Amp, HU). I would locate the problem and correct it before I put in new speakers. The short could be in the connection to the speaker or the tinsel leads in the speaker itself. The popping could also be coming from the source (HU, amp)

01hegt
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply. Yea, I was thinking along those lines about ckecking for a short first before anything. Thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us