Acoustics of Vehicles Q

Username: Lukewarm12

Bedford, PA USA

Post Number: 10
I understand a fair amount about car audio (IE understanding wiring, ohms, RMS, frequencies, etc.) But I have only owned two vehicles in my life that I have put stereo Equipment in, So I have not heard alot of variations of the acoustics of different vehicles.

I have a nice setup in my car.

My buddy, on the otherhand, wanted a setup like mine, but he didn't want to spend the doe I did (I have about $1800 In my setup).

SOOOOOO.....He bought a USED pair of Subs off of me (my old MTX subs), a box from circuit city, and a used Pioneer plain jane amp from a co-worker of his. He already had a mid grade Clarion HU hooked up to his FACTORY speakers. He did 0 research on what he was buying and knows nothing about car audio. Because he doesn't know squat, I hooked everything he bought up for him. He has about $500 total in his setup now.

BUT.......Here is the key point.
He has a hatch back, a 2001 Cougar.
My car is a Grand Prix (Subs and amps are in the trunk).
My old subs and his used amp I hooked up for him in his hatchback, HAMMERS HARDER than what I have. And I do mean HAMMERS.

You have no idea how much this pi$$es me off!!!

NOW....my question is this. ARE THE SUBS HAMMERING LOUDER, AND PLAYING WITH MUCH BETTER SQ IN HIS CAR THAN MY SYSTEM PRODUCES BECAUSE HIS CAR IS A HATCHBACK, AND THE BASS IS HITTING ALL OF THAT GLASS.
I have never owned a hatchback or been in one with a system before. Does the acoustics of these type of cars really really make that much of a difference in SQ of a system (especially the Bass).

I understand the glass helps, I mean that is where the whole bandpass concept came from. But the difference in the sound that his low grade equipment in his hatchback makes compared to what I put in my car is unreal to me.

Anyone who installs in here who have heard alot of different cars, or if you have owned both hatchbacks and regular cars with systems in both and can vouch for this, I would aprreciate the feed back, because like I said above, this situation is very agrivating to me.

just for FYI,
other than the quality of equipment we have, as far as power, everything is pretty even between our two cars. The main difference is that I replaced my factory internals and amplified them, and he is still running factory off of his HU. I understand that this will change the overall sound of my bass some (because the speakers are playing louder thuse causing the bass to sound weaker), but my car still doesn't hit close to as hard as his does.

Please help - anyone with experience in this matter.

THANKS

Bronze Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 54
LOL
"....my question is this. ARE THE SUBS HAMMERING LOUDER, AND PLAYING WITH MUCH BETTER SQ IN HIS CAR THAN MY SYSTEM PRODUCES BECAUSE HIS CAR IS A HATCHBACK, AND THE BASS IS HITTING ALL OF THAT GLASS"

Your some what correct.
The very main thing here is that he has a HATCH!
I put SUVs/HATCH/Truck in the same category!
Major advantage! The whole CAB turns into a bOX.
That air moves all over the cab!
If you put your system in his hatch, you will crush his system!
Look into getting holes cut in your rear deck, or putting a port back there!

He is also has the advantage in getting his system stolen also...

What kind of box is he using? ported, seal? what box are you using? Box will make a difference also!!

I remember working at this club, and we built a box over the speaker box (as a bench) and the speaker box hit harder than it ever did!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1632
Hatchbacks will be louder for the reasons as u said above - thats why 1 of the considerations was music when i was choosing my ride to be bought .

so thats why i picked this wagon Upload
trunk is almost 4ft wide & 3ft deep , with seats down its almost 6ft deep !

Bronze Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 57
Nice ride. What is it? I never seen that b4
Yea. Hatches Hitttttt

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1636
Click on my profile - none ever landed in the US but REALLY popular over here & its not expensive ,around 40gs TT$ foreign used .

right now i have in it a temp set-up until my stuff arrives later next mth ...

Bronze Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 58
Cool, its a Nissan too.
Good engine! expect the car parts to fall off first, I love Nissan engines, they always out last the body.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1384
hatchbacks have an advantage in the SPL lanes aswell...some say that CRX's have a +3dB advantage!

one big thing about hatches is that you have the back glass to "load" off w/ your subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Lukewarm12

Bedford, PA USA

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the Feedback.
Now I am not quit as Pi$$ed
You can understand though with the dollar value difference in our systems.
Basically the little square trunk I have can't touch his HB, no matter what I put in it. (unless I buy competition equipment.

You have no idea how much I played with all of my settings after I first hooked his car up trying to figure out how in the heck he was pulling it off.

B.....You mentioned the ports or holes in the deck. The middle section of my back seat folds down, and there is a door behind it that opens up. I leave the seat folded down and took that door off, so there is air flow into my cab (about a 1'x2' hole). Is this enough air flow??? I know when I did it it made a difference, but still isn't touching his car.

ALSO, you mentioned our boxes, both of ours are sealed. His is a little bigger, and i have mine polyfilled, otherwise they are about the same.

Any more feedback bring it on, I appreciate it.

P.S. I guess the underlieing consensus is to just go buy a HB!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us