15" in sealed enclosure compared to 12" in ported

ident noe
Unregistered guest
same sub ( in my case, the RE SX ), would a 15 in a sealed enclosure have higher or lower spl than a 12 in a ported enclosure, assuming both are built to spec.

ident noe
Unregistered guest
any thoughts?

ident noe
Unregistered guest
any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2316
12 ported should get louder then a 15 sealed in most cases. I have a 15 SX Ported and i know you get 3 db louder putting the same sub from sealed to ported.

ident noe
Unregistered guest
okay...i was just wandering becuz i didn't want a huge box...like the 3.5 cu ft one for a 15 ported, but if the 15 sealed got louder ( and the recommended box was actually smaller than the ported 12) i would go with that. Im basically sure im going with the RE SX 12 ported right now. i just cant wait til i get it....and my soon to be JL XR components...

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2319
The 15 sealed will get lower on most tracks with low bass but the 12 ported will play the higher freq louder then a sealed depending on where you tune the port freq

Bronze Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 84
probably 1.9 cu ft with 32Hz tune...basically built right to spec. But like you said, i am kinda worried that the 12 ported isnt going to go as low as im hoping. I love that low bass, i just hope a 32 hz tune is low enough...do you think i should go alil lower, like 30 Hz tune?.....and i used the "ident noe" name at first cuz i thought it was a stupid question

Silver Member
Username: Need4bass

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 101
You will be surprised at how low 32Hz is. I doubt anyone could actually hear a difference between only 2 cycles. Built it to spec and you will be very happy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
thanks, thats all i really wanted to hear. especailly since i plan on ordering it in 2 days. it sucks its gunna take 2-3 weeks to get it though cuz i need the dual 4 ohm SX and its a special order that takes longer.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1663
What amp are u gonna push it with ? ,btw ......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
kicker kx600.1 rated at 710w. i know its alil underpower but im told it should still sound pretty good

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1667
if thats what u already own - well hell yea use it ! ...lol

The real deal would be a Kickeror/Orion/RE 1200.1 if u were buying a new amp .......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
i know...but i think alittle further down the road, once i upgrade my alt, big 3, maybe an optima batt, ill just get another kicker kx600.1 and strap them. it would look tight too cuz i have the the kicker kx350.4 too and its the same size, so they would all look pretty identical
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us