Pi$$ed and happy...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1371
i just got back from the Y101 Tuner Jam in Jackson, Ms...this was the funnest car show i have ever been to. great people, great competition!

anyways...i ended up doing a 147.2 w/ my SX15 and got 2nd, but i lost my 1st place position to a guy w/ 4 alphasonic 15's in a mid 90's tahoe (2door). I am pi$$ed...he did a 147.3! (the same # i got last weekend!?!?!?!) No mater what i did, i coulded get my 0.1dB back from last sunday...i think only having a stock batt came back to bite me in the @ss.

anyways, it was fun...got to meet a few new people, one of whom did a 161.x w/ 2 MT15's and 8 crossfire 1000d's walled in an S10! (i got it on video, it was sic)

anyways...since i lost 0.1dB, SOMEONE HELP ME GET IT BACK!!!

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 615
like u said the stock batt might have done u in

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3582
do my port horn idea i shared with you before should add at least 1 full db

Gold Member

Post Number: 3583
could also try the other ideas i mentioned for the interior corners of your box and you could also do the baffle inside the box to stimulate more spl from your box (making it a teporary addon for all of these incase they dont help or you want to mod the ideas further)

Bronze Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 40
since i lost 0.1dB, SOMEONE HELP ME GET IT BACK!!!

LOL how about DUCK TAPE.
I keep reading that. It should give you .1DB
DUCK TAPE the hole the subs go into. around the edges of the circle, and all the edges inside of the box.
They say it makes the air flow better. Some Poly fill with that may work.. Put subs back in box, then test it. LOL

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1374
lol...i tried the duct tape thing last weekend.

(last weekend) on my first run i did 146.6 w/ duct tape on the port, i went home and duct taped around the sub and corners of the box...came back for my second run on sunday and dropped to 144.6! the tape on the box and sub killed me, so i took the tape off and paid for a rerun...did 147.3 w/ bodies on the truck.

this weekend at the Tuner Jam, i did 147.2 my first and second run (had 5 guys pushing pannels and the roof, also tried without people on the truck)...

for my next comp, i WILL have alot more soundening, a better braced box, prolly a flared 8" pvc port. (kinda like your in idea, sean)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3596
cool marshall ...ok just a thought here depending on your rules you have to follow. Try putting wood on the places where you see the flexing of the cab going on that would seem to be better than deadner i would think ....you could do it in front of the door panels or behind depending and cut out a wood mold to custom fit for a nice appearance and you could paint it or whatever one way to bend the rules sorta would be to use this as a place for mid and tweet mods say for your doors ..ive also noticed that doors with handles inside like my 90 nissan sentra can leak air a little so sealing these types of weak spots if needed is good even a new seal on a hatch can help you keep air in.....for flexing on the roof add a wood panel also if you like and make it needed for a reason if you can bend the rules...or should i say use the loop holes

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1376
In Usaci Modified, the car has to be stock forward of the B-pillar. I'm gonna double up on the bracing on my box and fill some gaps w/ expanding foam in the back. Might even rebuild and do a semi-wall.

when i burp, my roof buzzes like crazy...but it doesnt flex all that bad. I'm prolly gonna do 2 layers of deadening everywhere.

now that i think of it...i know some things that my have hurt me. on my run last weekend, the judge in the passenger seat was a big guy 250lbs+. the guy this weekend was ~150lbs so he didnt displace as much air as the big guy. also, the judge said something about the rules saying the TL in the Usaci globe has to face the firewall...i'm louder w/ it not facing the firewall, plus in the rules it says you can have to globe positioned ANYWHERE forward of the b-pillar. IDK...just alil mix-up i guess, i'm still happy w/ that # for now.

everyone thought it was insane that 4 15's only got me by .1dB...on my first run, the judge had just got out of the guys tahoe w/ the 4 15's (he peaked at 45hz), he set down in my truck and looked at my amp/sub. then i burped (peaked at 48hz) and he looked at the SPL display...all he said was, "dam, thats pretty fvcking impressive"

i'm happy w/ my # for now, but all i have to say is 148+ here i come.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1139
how is that even fair having 4 15s against 1 lol.... how many watts was he pushing with those 4 15s?

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1377
Usaci classes are ordered by 4ohm rated power...i'm in mod 301-900 since i dont have a back seat and i have a bp1200.1 (rated 600@4ohm, 1200@ 2 and 1ohm). I'm at a disadvantage w/ the bp1200.1 in mod 301-900, cause you can legally run 3 kx1200.1's in that class! (or even 3 mmats 3000.05's...its a 3 amp max class)

i dont know how much power he had...or even how many amps. after awards i asked him about it, but he wouldnt show me. (windows blacked out)

oh well, doesnt matter...i'll get louder anyways.

Bronze Member
Username: Dubking

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 11
sean, just curious of what your "port horn idea" consists of??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3598
read here brandon
I seem to remember you talking about your box flexing in the past if there still is any make improvements to make the box sturdier also sometimes adding deading can make you loose spl .....bingo!!! got one for ya that comes to mind make what i call a horn port I have yet to try this idea but heres how i came up with it.....say a word at normal tone from your mouth...now..say the same word at the same tone but this time put your hands around your mouth (like when you yell to someone far away) and say the word over but each time varing your hands width around your mouth and youll see what i did (it got louder) when you reached a certain angle...another thing i noticed was that the air i excerted saying the word got projected further and made a piece of paper i had on my desk at mouth level move (something it didnt do till the right position was met around my mouth) I tested this theory using my handheld meter in a fixed postion and it seemed to at least make a 1 db increase (assuming I was saying the word at the same tone each time...I also know when i did this test at different physical locations the results sometimes by ear seemed to be even better.....basically what i mean by a port horn is a addon added to the end of your port with almost like a v type flare if you do testing youll no when youve hit the right postion i think...build the addon so it can be adjusted on the fly that way you dont have to make multiple port horns....let me know how this works if you try it

ps...the port horn would have to be included in the total port length to maintain the same port frequency (at least at the mouth before the flare point i think) (test and see and let me know)

Heres the link to the rest of the posts

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/168400.html

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 302
I havent read anybody elses reply so this may have already been mentioned but here it goes.

Everyones note will change. What I mean is temperature, barametric pressure, and humidity will change the characteristics and resonances of not only your system but the interior of your car as well.
For instance, earlier this summer I was tuning to 62hz, at finals, without changing anything, the car was peaking at 64hz. It doesnt take anything more than a sunny morning test to find your note, then by mid day a storm rolls in, humidity skyrockets and temp falls way down, all that testing earlier is now worthless if your trying to find any and every tenth.
It is important to test at every show before rolling into the lanes, just always allow enough time for charging.

Hope this helps you.

(i may have worded a few things oddly in this, sorry, i just got back from a party, im not the sharpest at the moment :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3602
I was going to mention (temperature) that as a reason you lost your .1 db thanks zac for doing so

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1382
yea...i figure it was a combo of alot of things

also, the show i did 147.3 at was outdoors...this show was indoors. (that could have made all the difference)

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3940
"'m gonna double up on the bracing on my box and fill some gaps w/ expanding foam in the back. Might even rebuild and do a semi-wall."

Definitely fill big crevices and other stuff with foam, as long as you never need to get into that area again. Expanding foam works great for deadening, and it's super light, so you can use as much as you want. My trunk lid is full of about 4 cans of foam. Just deaden the he.ll out of your truck and you should easily gain more than .1 db

Deadening is the key...... keep the sound and energy INSIDE your truck.......

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 305
...expanding foam inside your panels will absorb pressure in turn lowering your score, not to mention it lowers the resonant frequency of your cabin.
Expanding foam will hurt your score.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1393
i'm planning on taking everything out this weekend and deadening the he11 out of the truck. I under stand what your talking bout w/ the foam hurtin my #...its porous (sp?) so its gonna act like cloth and absorb sound.

i have ZERO deadening in the roof, so i'm gonna hit that for sure. (it buzzes when i burp and when i have someone lay on it my # goes up a lil).

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 306
heres the thing marshall, one of two things will happen if you dynamat the car, either you will gain some or lose alot. In most cases you will lose db, yes once in awhile the score will gain, the only times i've ever seen the car gain when adding dynamat was because the box was tuned lower than the cars res freq.
I dont know how much testing you've done but i would bet after you mat the car your burping note will go down 1 or 2 hz's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us