IDMAX12 ?

Bronze Member
Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 23
I'm considering getting an IDMax12, I just had a couple of quick questions.

I have a JL 500/1 right now hooked up to a 8w7. I'm looking to upgrade SPL, but retain (or hopefully even improve) SQ. I also have a spare 500/1 that's just sitting around collecting dust. Can I hook up a 500/1 to each voice coil of the IDMax? It seems to me that I won't be able to do this, but I thought I had read on here before that this is possible.

If I can't do this, is a single 500/1 enough to push the IDMax12D2 (dual 2 ohm voice coil) ? It says recommended power is 200 to 1000 watts RMS on the Image Dynamics website, but I've seen 600 as the "recommended" power. Anyone know how the IDMax12 running on a 500/1 would compare to my 8w7?

My other option is upgrading to a 10w7 and just running the 500/1 I have now, and probably just selling the extra 500/1.

I can get the 10w7 in the sealed JL box for $500, and the IDMax12 in a box for $400.

Anything else I should be considering for an SQL setup?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1562
i'd personally pick the IDMAX 12" Dual 2ohms cuase its twice the wattage . I'ved read a few places that 800wrms is quite sufficient for it so those 2 amps will work fine .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
So you can hook a separate amp up to each voice coil, without worrying about damaging the subwoofer? That'd be great...

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1564
i think it can be done check here to be sure how www.bcae1.com

got to make sure your gains on each amp are exactly right though which is a tricky thing . Better if u sold both 500/1 & get a 1000/1 for that Idmax . OR What about if u got 2 10w6 to work with the 2 500/1 amps ????
Not much space ????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I did have a 10w6v2 hooked up to a 500/1 in my previous system, which I donated to my brother. I decided to get an 8w7 because I got a pretty good deal on it where I got my stuff installed. I'd have to say my 8w7 has significantly better SQ than the 10w6v2. I know some people might disagree, but the bass on the 8w7 is super tight, and there is no boomy bass at all. I like the way it sounds a lot better than my 10w6v2, it just doesn't get as loud (which I occasionally want). I figured the 10w7 or IDMax 12 would be able to retain the SQ, and just allow me to get some louder bass.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1318
hmmm. interesting. 8w7 over the 10w6v2.

"Can I hook up a 500/1 to each voice coil of the IDMax?"

no prob. you read correctly. no damage to your vc at all. and setting the gains the same will just allow you to have optimal usage of the power from each amp. there isn't any danger at all. the vc's just sum the forces of each (provided by the amps) to produce one force acting against that of the maganet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
That's awesome. Appreciate the posts, I think this is probably what I'm going to end up doing...

And yea, I definitely think on pure SQ the 8w7 is superior to the 10w6v2. But I'm also of the opinion that the 10w6v2 sounds better sealed than ported (I've heard both compared on the same setup). I think that if you don't list to rap music regularly, most other types of music the 8w7 is just tighter, cleaner bass. The sound is more true to what a double bass drum or the notes on a bass guitar sounds like. If I do play a rap song on my system, it doesn't sound bad, there's just not the boomy bass that you expect with a bigger, louder sub. However, for some songs, and in some moods you do want that extra thump. I'm hoping the IDMax can do this as everyone raves about it being *the* SQ sub. And hopefully pushing 1000 watts to it should do the trick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us