Am i ok

Anonymous

i have a 145 stock alternator and im running a total of 1000 watts rms to 2 12's with no cap and stock battery, its a 2500 chevey silverado 2004

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 547
nope u need an HO alternator

http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 110
i think it would be ok. try it and if theres alot of dimming change it.

Bronze Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 78
i personally have a 2000 cavalier, not sure how big of an alternator, but im sure its not huge. I have about 1100w rms running right now and i only have very slight dimming on certain songs. I dont have a cap or anything either. All im saying is my electrical system is working, and its not insanely crucial to get a HO alt unless your current one fails. It would help if you have the money, but like i said, its not extremely crucial. read up on it on www.bcae1.com for more information.

Anonymous

it is crucial. it is the heart of your electrical system. see in 3 months if your lights start to dim rob.

if your voltage rails are dropping to that of yout battery,, then the battery can't charge, thus making everything more difficult for your charging system.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2501
if your lights are dimming, it doesn't necessarily mean that your charging system is dipping to 12V. it could be in the range of 14.4V to 13.8V, which will have dimming, b/c it is not constant, and your lights are brighter at 14.4V than they are at 13.8V.

he needs to get it measured.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
its been 5 months and everythings still the same as the day it was isnatlled

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
"Many people want to know when they should replace their alternator. The short answer is... when it fails. If you just want the battery to remain charged and your present alternator is keeping it charged, it's doing its job. If you want a system to be as close to perfect as possible and money is no object, replace your alternator when you install the amplifiers." from bcae1.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
when my alt fails, yes, i will upgrade to a HO one. Until then, i dont have the extra money, and my current one is doing its job, thats all im saying.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us