Question on depth

Play_It_LOUD
Unregistered guest
is it true when building a box that you have to add 2 inches to the depth???? what happends if you dont do this????

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2471
you are supposed to add w/e the thickness of your MDF is to calculate the inner box volume.

other than that, you will have to be more specific.

for example, if your box is 3/4" MDF, then after you calculate L x W x D. you would add 1-1/2" to each measurement to account for MDF thickness, so you would get the inner dimensons of the box.

then you take that # and divide by 1728(that's how many inches are in a cubed foot) and you get the internal box volume.

make sure you take into account the drivers displacement, and the port volume(if you are building a ported box):-)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1532
Rather than busting ya brain doing the math use the calculators on www.the12volt.com ......Upload

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2478
Upload

Play_It_LOUD
Unregistered guest
i know all the measurment stuff but if the subs mounting depth is 6 inches do i have to add 2 inches to the depth??? and make it 8???

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1541
oh , u meant behind the sub itself !?

Well yea u should leave some space there 2" - i read somewhere there's a reason for doing it

Play_It_LOUD
Unregistered guest
does anyone know what happends if you dont???

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 544
the world ends

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 712
Its actually not crucial. What you don't want is for the magnet to start smacking the back of the box. On a poorly made large box with improper bracing, I could see that happening if you don't leave a full 2 inches.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2495
it might have something to do with the backwaves of the sub in a ported enclosure. not sure though.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 540
Last I heard it was for cooling purposes. And when calculating your inner box volume you would take the outside dimensions of your box and SUBTRACT the width of your MDF (if .75 MDF, then subtract 1.5 from each side). The MDF isn't airspace.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2502
ahh yes, the vented pole piece. completely forgot about that.

if your sub has a hole in the bottom of the magnet that goes up through the magnet, then the back of your sub needs some breathing room.

and again, your correct, i said add, and you are supposed to subtract, but he already knew that anyway.:-O

Play_It_LOUD
Unregistered guest
hey thanks alot guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us