Want to hit 148, what do I need?

Bumpin Focus Hatch
Unregistered guest
Looking for the best bang for the buck to hit in that area. I don't want more than two subs though, and i am not looking to spended more than 400 for subs, is it possible?

also if anyone could recommend powerful, reliable amps.

thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 466
Enclosure plays such a crucial factor that there is no set equipment that is guranteed to hit a certain SPL.

Your best bet is going to be to get quality SPL oriented subs (ie high excursion).

Your gunna end up being in 1000+ watt range for sure because of the nature of the system your trying to build. You are DEFINATLY going to have to install a HO alternator.

Kicker is probably the cheapest RELIABLE amp that you can get in your power range. JL, Xtant, Arc Audio, Zapco are gunna be more expensive but very good and very reliable.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 691
Well you mention $400 for subs, but I don't think you fully understand the cost of setting up SPL system designed to hit you're seeminly arbitrary 148db mark. How much money have you set aside for replacing the alternator and the rest of your stock wiring? As mike said, you're going to need some powerful amplifiers to get that loud. The benchmark for a reliable amp is around a dollar per watt. Of course you can get it done for cheaper than that, but my point is that this system done right is going to cost you a lot.

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 214
well $1 a watt for RMS right, not MAX rating!
As a 2000 RMS amp is just over 2 grand (helix) and thats what im getting its 4000 MAX, heck if Im paying 4 grand!

Bronze Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 13
audiobahn amps are also very reliable that have cooling fans and other features that will not let down your subs. They are also not as expensive as kicker... in my opinion kcker subs are way over-priced i have an audiobahn A8002T amp that is 800 watts RMS bridged that i got for 200. a 200 dollar amp from kicker will be alot higher than that. i reccomend audiobahn than anything, i have not overheated or anything and i am running 2 compr vr 12inch subs bridged in parallel.

Silver Member
Username: Avalanche

Post Number: 145
You should expect to spend atleast close to 1k for the amp that you want to power.
Look around for some good used amps in the shops sometimes people trade them in because they do not know what they are turning in.

Or brand new you will spend 1k if not more.

I personally have a us amps 3000 and I have not put it in because I have to upgrade my alternator because I will need atleast 250 to 300 amps minimum to power this thing.

It would preffer 450. Get the Idea.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 693
yea, thats what I meant. Peak watts is a meaningless statistic and I can't image a time when I would reference them unless I was explaining the difference between peak and RMS to someone.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 695
well Dustin, everyone I know who's owned an audiobahn amp and used it near 2 ohms has had to replace it with a better amp that doesn't go into protection after 15 minutes.

Bumpin Focus Hatch
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I realize most everything ya'll said, I guess I didn't phrase it very clearly in the opening post. What specific subs would ya'll recommend for this? And how bout this, 145 instead of 148.

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 202
WHat kinda amp u got??? Coz maybe u'll find a $400 sub but what if u got a 30X2 rms amp?? U wont do anythin...neither 100 db :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us