Got an interesting problem...

Username: Crashfactoryx

Post Number: 1
I bought a POS VR3 200 watt amp to power 2 mismatched subs, running it bridged to each speaker (speaker leads are tied to each other), worked fine....until I switched head units, I used to run a Sony Xplod Drive S, it had a special 0.3a REM wire, powered the amp on, no problems. I now have an Ilo MP3 LCD head unit, and my amp will not come out of protection mode...I have the REM attached to the power antenna lead on the back of the unit, I've tried everything I can think of...tested my + (12.54v) getting 12v from the REM...ground is good...WILL NOT come out of protection,and if it does it lasts 4 seconds and when it would normally start playing music (has a soft start turn on) it then goes back into protection..I've tried 2 of the exact same amps with no luck, what do you guys think? Time to buy a real amp? :P

Post Number: 2
Also like to add that I tried multiple points for my REM (I'm pretty convinced that's the problem) and Ground.....the only thing I could find that it started out out of protection was the illumination wire, and it still popped into protection when it would start to play (plus I wouldn't have an amp at night when the lights were on), even tried a relay from + to REM so it was always on...no good......

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10801
two subs in parallel on a bridged amp is most likely too low of a load, thus protection mode.
try turning the gain down, too. that can also cause protection mode.

Post Number: 3
will do Glasswolf, thanx for responding, any other advice is welcome also, I think it's just a crappy amp :P

Post Number: 4
after reading that again I should clarify (sorry just got home from work and am sick) I tried putting the subs on their own channels, one sub, etc. still no good I will try the gain though..

Post Number: 5
after reading through the manual, it says it's not in protection....BUT I'm not getting anything thru the amp.....maybe RCA's?? Gah, I used to be good at this stuff :|

Bronze Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 50
Try a real headunit, if it worked with the Sony it should work withg another headunit.And need to run it in stereo mode.

Post Number: 6
you guys are gonna love this, I am TRULY retarded, pulled the head unit out, going over my connections, noticed a diagram of the wires on top of the unit..there are NO RCA's, what I thought was RCA's are the XM radio ins, which is why nothing was coming through the amp....bought a speaker level converter, all is well, thanx for the help guys..I'm dumb...nuff said
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us