Can I Connect Speakers Directly to RCA Outputs?

Tito Pinto
Unregistered guest
I'd like to install an additional pair of 6"x9"s in my car, but i'd like to keep the existing front and rear speakers that are connected via the ISO connector. Is it possible to connect the two other speakers to the RCA-type outputs from the back of my Sony Headunit (CDX-F7750S). I'm assuming that thsese are designed to connect to speakers via an amp but is there any sort of adaptor that will allow me to connect the 6x9s directly to the headunit. For example, is it possible to use this converter in the opposite way to which its intended:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3794.html

Bronze Member
Username: Need4bass

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 79
Sorry, not gonna happen.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 464
RCAs are low level signal, depending on HU, but usually around 2-4Volts. Very low current too. You could hook them up, but their not gunna play very loud at all. Like you prolly wont even hear them.

Why do you want 6 speakers in your car anyways. 4 is too many as it is.

Dont buy the 6*9s and buy an amp for the front speakers. Just some advice!

Tito Pinto
Unregistered guest
i already have the 6x9's from my old car so thought i may as well use them. Buying an amp would obviously be the ideal solution but funds are short!

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 467
Well the only problem with adding more speakers but not adding more power is that your dividing the power between all of the speakers. Also, your HU was designed to run 4 speaker channels @ 4ohms or greater, not less. So if you do plan on adding the 3rd set of speakers, make sure you wire them in series with another pair. Otherwise, assuming all the speakers have 4ohm VC, you will be producing a 2ohm load on 2 channels of the HU, which im sure is not a good thing.

Your best bet is to put the best 4 speakers out of the Six in your car. All six just isnt practical or necessary.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us