Would i need this for my system

Pat L
Unregistered guest
I am planning on putting 4 rockford 200 watt RMS subs in my SUV and using one 1000 watt Rockford AMP. Now my concerns are not having enough power in my battery. Should i be concerned? It would be nice to hear your views.
Thanks

Username: Irish_guy

Post Number: 4
since its a suv pretty big car you shouldn't have that meny problems with battery or chargeing but i would recomend a 1 or 1.5 farad cap just for little extra juice when needed

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1931
Irish Guy is incorrect on all accounts.
many SUVs have a stock alternator in the 70A range, such as the ZJ Grand Cherokees, many imports, etc.
Some go as large as 165A (fully loaded Durango) but whatever teh engine has, is there because it's needed by the car's stock systems such as power everything, electronic fuel injection, spark plugs, power steering and brakes, and so forth.
The stock alternator rating doesn't matter. The reserve does, and that's not a measurement you can easily get. You just need to try the system and see if the lights dim, or voltage drops.

Forget capacitors. They don't produce electrical energy like a battery or an alternator. They store energy, quickly discharge, then require more current from the source to slowly recharge. This won't do a THING for you if your alternator is already too weak.
If the alternator is big enough already, then you won't need the cap anyway.

a 1000wRMS class-D amplifier will draw over 100A of current at full output.
Keep that in mind since your alternator may not even put out that much total, let alone reserve.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us