Tweeters waaay too bright - need a substitute

Blair_187
Unregistered guest
At the moment I have a set of Boston Acoustics Pro 60's. The tweeter attenuation is down at -6db and they are still way to bright. Even at relatively low volumes they tend to ring and are harsh.

IS there any tweeter that I can directly swap over, whilst retaining the same BA crossover and midbass? I am unfammilar with what frequency the tweeter is crossed over at..

I was thinking about either morel supremo or maybe dynaudio...but dunno if it is as simple as a straight swap. Or maybe even some ID horn loaded compression drivers, however i don't hear much about them these days....???

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10789
make sure phasing is correct on the tweeters.
otherwise you have two options with your existing speakers.
reposition the tweeters with a longer signal path which will help reduce this issue, and/or attenuate the tweeters by adding impedance to the circuit.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10790
by the way if you can't EQ your boston tweeters, don't even consider using HLCDs. you're not ready for the time and knowledge needed to set them up.
you're talking over a grand for a good pair of tweeters, plus a pair of 1/3rd octave EQs to tune them.
you can't just buy horns and slap em in., plus they have as many drawbacks as they do advantages.
read this
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/horns.html

Username: Blair

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 8
thanks..I read your tutorial, very informative. I think I'll have a play around with the phasing of the mids and tweeters and see if i can make any improvements. The path signal of the tweeter is about as far as i can get it as they are in the kick pannels. They are currently mounted on axis.. would mounting them off axis help?

Im really kicking myself for not getting the dyns or DLS's

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2437
HAHA!!!

that article is from my Audioshop's website.:-O

good to see that we could contirbute to the cause. lol

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2438
yeah, the DLS tweets make me wet in the pants.:-O:-):-O:-) lol

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 674
yes, mounting them off axis would definately help you hear them less. Before you remount them, just add a simple L-pad attenuation circuit. Its just 2 resistors.

http://www.lalena.com/audio/calculator/lpad/

Bronze Member
Username: Idiotwithpower

Post Number: 19
if there not visible, you could expiriment with mounting small amounts of loose foam, fiber, or cotton in front of or at different angles to your tweets.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4948
If you have the midbasses in the stock door spot, and the tweeters in a kick panel on axis, that is the main problem. Get some double sided tape or velcro, put the tweeters on the same axis as the midbasses, and see if it helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us