Ipod out vs head units out?

Bronze Member
Username: Yada

Post Number: 28
I'm wondering. When you use a wire to plug ipod straight into amp vs a nice head unit say DEH-p***. Does it matter that much? What is the different with the different level inputs. High level vs Low level? On the amp's manual it's recommended to use the low level inputs. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a nice head unit?

Say you're using a Kicker KX350.4 bridging to 2 channels running Infinity Kaps. Is it mainly because you can get louder with Hi-inputs? If so what's the reason to use low level instead of high level?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2000
The headunit boosts the signal. The voltage coming out from the headphone jack on the iPod is so low, the amp really won't sound very good without the headunit.

Bronze Member
Username: Yada

Post Number: 31
Boosting the signal means amping it. Isn't that the job of the amp itself? Using the head unit, it boosts the signal with its own amp (suffice to say that the limitted space of the HU, the amp is semi-crap), then you feed that signal into an external amp. I don't see how this would make the sound sounds better than by just going through 1 amp itself.

Most amps nowaday take inputs from Low level anyway and the manual of the KX350.4 recommends using low level inputs from the HU.

So are you saying that you should feed the amp HI-inputs for better sound quality?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2004
Naah, i'm saying use the RCA outputs on the headunit...

It's up to you, ultimately. Try both, see which one sounds better and works best for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us