Quick Question about OHMS!

Username: Larsntobbs

Post Number: 10
I have 2 jl audio 10'' subs.

The amp is an Orion 4002 400watt 2 channel amp (I think its 400 watt's, its 200x2)

Right now, I have 1 sub in 1 channel, the other in the other channel, Iv been reading about Parralell, and series. Will I benefit from wiring them both in parralell, and plugging into 1 channel, and using them that way.. Any help please, thx.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Also, both subs are 4 ohm version.

Will it hurt my amp, if I run both subs in paralell, in 1 channel, and leave my other open.. Will I benefit from that? or not..

Bronze Member
Username: Scott_t

Post Number: 33
i am new to this but from my electronics class i am in we are doing a lil car audio.. no it wont matterunbless each sub is a diffrent ohms. if thay have the same ohms each sub will still only get 200w each.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Well, the thing is dude, with both of them plugged into there own channel, they only get 100watts each, correct me if im wrong.. But if i parallel them, and go 1 channel, they'll both get 200watts

Right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
no id put 1 sub on each channel or bridge it.using only 1 channel will only put out 200w and witch will only be 100w to each sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
at what ohm dose it put out 400 briged?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
http://orioncaraudio.com/amps/2channel.asp

I dont know dude, theres the link, make sure to look under the ''4002''catagory. thx dude

Any help is greatly appretiated

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 454
The only problem with wiring subs in parallel and bridging the final load on the amplifier is to make sure that your amp is 2ohm MONO stable. If it is than you have no worries.

In your case, it doesnt matter if you wire your subs in parallel and then bridge the amp, or if you run 1 sub per channel. Both subs will recieve the same amount of power.

Now, if you had a Mono amplifier (just one channel) and had two subs, than you would be forced to wire the subs together. Each sub in this case would get more power from wiring them in parallel vs Series. The parallel configuration is going to give you a lower net load impedance on the amp thus it will put out more power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Would you please go to that think, and tell me if my sub is mono stable at 2 ohms, I think it is. But would like a second opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
so your amp is puting out 100w in to 2 channels at 4 ohms so each one of your subs would only get 100w(4ohm sub)wired 1 to each channel.
briged it puts out 400w into 1 channel wireing subs in paralell will give each sub 200w if u wire them for a 1 ohm load.

in short id wire them in paralell to 1 ohm load and give them 200w each.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
thats only if its 1 ohm stable witch i dont think it is so if u wired it to 2 ohm load it still only put out 200w givign u the same watts as if it was wired 1 to each channel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
and yes its stable at 2 ohms because it give a rating for a 2 ohm load

just dont give for 1 ohm so i wouldent try

just put 1 sub on each channel fr 100w each or briged 200w(100w each still)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
anyone confirm that for me please? thx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
hmm I see now, sorry for being such a tard. It wouldnt matter if i bridged them or not, same output.. thx guys.

Next question,

Should I take a sub out, and run it bridged, wich would do 400 watts right? Would that be better then 2 at 100 each, or is 400 to much for 1 sub?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Maby it would be better if i explaind my problem. During rap, they sound awesome, you can really hear em. But during rock, they dont seem to be there.. You can hear them, but its not like they sound when I play rap.

Also, Im using my factory speakers, I've got a set of infinity 680.7cs components, would that be better for my rock? or no?

The main driver behind it is, is it worth the chore of removing the door pannels to put in the infinities, or not?

And also, the infinity compents are going infront, Should i leave my factory speakers on the rear deck, or just pull em out, What would sound better? Thx guys.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hmm,

Im thinking now, mind you. If I did put in my compents, how would I get them to the amp? Just take out my factory's and use the factory wire'in ? And then from there, what do I do? The deck is an Eclipse 3434.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
My current mindset, leads me to believe, I just use the factory wire'in, and the ''RCAS'' labeld ''front'' and ''rear'' are the speaks going to my amps.

But this also raises another problem with cross overs.. Bare with me guys, I'm trying to learn this stuff. I've been reading constantly, but it only seems to leave me with a bunch of unasnwerd questions..

Brad From PA
Unregistered guest
sorry if i repeat anything i didn't feel like reading everything posted lol...if you're subs are dual 4 ohms then you could wire each sub by itself in parallel making each sub 2 ohm which in turn would give you 200 watts going into each sub b/c the amp is rated 200x2 @ 2 ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us