Sub sonic?

Bronze Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 69
what exactly does the subsonic feature do on amps.

Anonymous

it doesn't let the sub reproduce frequencies below what you have it set to.

Bronze Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 70
ok so does that mean it gives it more bass or better sq or what? im not sure

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 455
It serves as a highpass filter for your sub to protect it from producing freq. lower than what your ported box is tuned too. If your box is tuned to 28Hz then you do not want to play freq below this because your sub could over excurse.

What the subsonic filter does is it rolls off freq at the cutoff point so it doesnt play below the freq you set the filter at. Its just a fancy name for a highpass filter for subs basically.

You wont get more bass from it, but your SQ will essentially be better because your sub wont be loading, LOL.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10778
subsonic filters serve two purposes.
one is to cut off frequencies below the tuned frequency of a ported or bandpass box to avoid the sub unloading and blowing itself up, and the other thing they do is prevent you from wasting energy trying to produce notes below the audible range that you won't hear anyway.

if you have a ported or BP box, set the filter to the same frequency as the port is tuned.
If the box is sealed, set it for 16-20Hz.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2425
glass, i think it was zac that told me that if you set it at the freq. the port is tuned that it will cut-off the freq. in which your box plays the loudest.
he said set it 5hz under your box's tuning.
is there any truth to this? or would it just roll-off freq. say at 29hz and under if your box was tuned to 30 and your SS was set at 30?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10786
either way
setting at the tuned frequency works for most subsonic filters. they aren't a brick wall filter, so you still have roll off.
5 under is fine too. you just don't want the sub to unload below the tuned frequency at full power.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2436
gotcha.

"you just don't want the sub to unload below the tuned frequency at full power."

hehe *puts head down in shame* lol

Bronze Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 94
lol

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10803
well, the sub unloading is basically losing all of the sub's suspension or damping from the air resistance in the enclosure.. it's a lot like suddenly pulling the sub out of the box entirely so there's nothing to act as a cushion for the driver's movement..
when the sub unloads, it'll over-extend and pretty much shred itself by blowing the cone right out of the basket.
It's not a pretty sight. :-)

subs are extremely hard to control below their tuned enclosure frequency, and they suck a tremendous amount of power in the attempt.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2450
....or smacks top and bottom plates several times before the volume is turned down. *shakes head again* :-)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2451
*bottom plate*

there is no top, that's what the surround is for. duh.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 335
Glass,

I thought there was no need to use a SSF on sealed boxes? Mine is locked at 25Hz. I'm running sealed. Should I use it at 25Hz, or just turn it off?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2453
i would leave it on.
it's like he said, there is no need for your sub to waste energy trying to reproduce sounds you will barely hear.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2270
I have 2 JL 12w6v2's in a sealed prowedge box. I have my subsonic filter set to off. Should i go ahead and turn it on and set it to 16-30hz ? I didnt think it was needed when its sealed but i guess im wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2271
I have 2 JL 12w6v2's in a sealed prowedge box. I have my subsonic filter set to off. Should i go ahead and turn it on and set it to 16-20hz ? I didnt think it was needed when its sealed but i guess im wrong.

Anonymous

I have the same question as MO about the setting with 2 W6's in the prowedge box. Should the subsonic filter be on or off and what setting whould suit this sub most if on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us