Rear speaker selection for '96 Integra Coupe

Username: Tekniqal

Flagstaff

Post Number: 1
This is going to be the first time that I have ever went out and choose all my components for a install so you could say that I am new at it. I havent bought the stuff yet but I am pretty sure about what I am going to get. However I came across this excellent forum while browsing google and wanted to come and ask a question. Heres what I am planning for my '96 Acura Integra Coupe:
Eclipse CD5435 HU
Profile AP1040 4-CH
Infinity KAPPA 62.7i 6.5" (front)

I am not sure about the rear. From everything I have been reading people are saying the rear speakers arent important but I dont want to get crappier speakers for the rear since I also read that your system is only as good as your weakest component. I was originally planning on just getting 2 pairs of the 62.7i's but I dont know if maybe I should just go with Infinity Reference 6.5"s. I definitly dont want to get rid of them all together because I want the sound for the rear passengers to be excellent as well.

As far as the Profile amp I have only read good things about its price and performance by Crutchfield buyers, do you guys agree?

And lastly, I am not going to go with a sub for budget reasons and fear of it just getting stolen.

Thanks for all your comments!

Flagstaff

Post Number: 2
BTW I would like some speakers that produce decent bass for a door speaker, I am assuming that these KAPPAs will sound great all around.

Flagstaff

Post Number: 4
After visiting this site http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html I am thinking maybe I should do some midbass drivers for the rear, any recommendations?

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 447
Well i would say that Profile is one of the better sh!tty brands. I know people that have them and I have had first hand experience with them as well. The offer a good cost-feature ratio, but as far as SQ and performance, they lack. It wont sound like trash but you would be better off with MTX, Alpine, Kicker, Eclipse, JL. (In order of increasing performance IMO) Look to ebay to fine a better amp for cheap.

What I get from the Kappas is that you like them or you dont. The tweeter is harsh to some consumers so listen to it before you buy it.

For good components around that price range look at Eclipse, Polk, JL, CDT, Alpine Type-R. (no specific order). Also look to ebay for good deals on speakers as well.

The eclipse HU is a good choice too.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 448
Yes the tweeter in the rear are considered mostly useless.

Flagstaff

Post Number: 5
So it looks like I have the following choices correct?
Eclipse PA5532 125w X 4 @ 2ohms
Kicker KX350.4 90w X 4 @ 2ohms
MTX Thunder564 140w X 4 @ 2ohms
JL 300/4 75w X 4 1.5-4ohms
Alpine has a big gap between their 4 channel amps its either real expensive (MRV-F345) or real cheap ( Alpine MRP-F240)

I havent actually listened to the KAPPAS yet I can go to the local shop and check em out. I listen to hiphop and rock.

I am assuming those component brands you listed are good brands from the midbass range I was talking about. In general midbass drivers will require more depth for the install right? Should that be a issue in my Coupe Integra? I am having trouble finding information on which brand to with. For the full range I found alot of help but I really dont know what to go with for midbass. I dont even see any midbass speakers at the Eclipse website, unless they dont call them midbass...

Thanks so much for your help all this technical stuff is a little overwhelming for me.

Username: Sevenasterisks

Post Number: 2
Make sure you actually listen to the kappas for a while. I initially liked the sound of them, but later decided I didn't like it at all. One possible solution would be to not use any rear speakers, and then get a good 2 channel amp. This is what I am currently doing in my 98 integra (using a JL 300/2). Also the available speaker depth is a little short on integras, but I am pretty sure most speakers will fit.

Flagstaff

Post Number: 6
So you think it would be loud enough with just 2 speakers int he whole car? Also dont you think I should have some speakers in the back for the mid low range since I dont have a sub?

Flagstaff

Post Number: 7
I am leaning towards going with the Kicker KX350.4 its seems to be a great amp at a reasonable price on eBay. I am still a little lost on finding rear speakers however.

Flagstaff

Post Number: 9
Sorry about the repeated posts but I am just making sure I dont screw this up on a college student budget :-). I have decided to go with a completely different set of speakers. I am now looking at JL XR650CSi. This still leaves me with a rearfill problem. I think you will all agree tho that it is better to go with the JL.

Bronze Member

Flagstaff

Post Number: 13
OK this is going to be my last question, I am pretty sure. So I am going to go with these JL X650's in the front and it seems that I am not going to find a "cheap" pair of midbass. I have been searching thru this forum alot and it seems people recommend CDT, Morel, and Alpine in some cases. But it seems that these all cost more than the JL's I am getting. I was kind of assuming the rear midbasses would be cheaper, is this not the case? Since I dont have alot of money to be throwing around do you think that I should just get a XR650CXi pair for the back? I would expect that these speakers produce descent bass, they arent exactly cheap speakers and they will be pushed by a amp. I am not a audio competition guy obviously and just want to improve my STOCK stereo. So what do you think? My budget for the midbass is about $125. Would I need crossovers or anything to install a midbass? Honestly I just want a pair of speakers in the back that produce a little bit of thump(more than the front at least) I dont really plan on needing to filter anything.

Bronze Member

Flagstaff

Post Number: 14
Hey Michael I was wondering what set of components you are using and if they are really loud without those rears? I am just trying to imagine a car without rear speakers, I know it is not that uncommon according to these boards (especially in a coupe) but it just seemed weird to me at first. I am contemplating using your idea and getting a good 2 ch amp.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 167
i drive a 01 firebird.....i have a set of the low line 6.5 tr's from JL in my rears....i run them off the headunit power....i have the XR650cxi's in the front running off about 120watts rms and i never really notice the rear speakers...a lot of people think since they have the speakers in the rear they need to upgrade those to....but personally i have never went to a concert and sat with my back to the stage so why should it be that way in my car! just get one good set for your fronts and a decent amp and you will be happy.....then later add a good sub and amp to the package and you will be set!

Username: Sevenasterisks

Post Number: 3
The components I am using are Focal 165v2's. (got them for a bit over $300) I am using a pretty good 2 channel amp (JL 300/2). I don't know exactly how loud they will get, but much louder than I would ever want them :-) I don't know that they have particularly good bass, especially compared to any subwoofer. I personally would recomend you take the $125 and get a better set of components. This will make the music sound much more real, and if you get really good speakers, they sound great without rear fill.

Bronze Member

Flagstaff

Post Number: 15
Thanks for responding guys for a while there I thought I was talking to myself. So you think that I should maybe go with a better set than the XR650CSi? Tell me this, are these speakers pretty much already incredible to the average listener? Especially powered by a amp. I mean they are a MSRP $399 set. How much power should I feed these, they are rated at 70w RMS but I should get an amp that feeds them more right? Maybe like 150w? I am thinking that I am going to just not do rear speakers. What do you think about 3 Ch amps (room for upgrade)? Or should I just a get a 2CH and get a separate amp for sub whenever I get that?

Bronze Member

Flagstaff

Post Number: 17
Ok well I couldnt pass up this deal on eBay. I just won a new set of JL XR650CSi for only $172.50 plus $24 for shipping. Pretty good considering most sets were buy it now for $225 shipped. Now I just need to decide on a 2 or 3 channel amp Im still thinking Kicker since they are cheap yet good qual.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 171
get a 2channel amp and a mono block for your sub!!!! i would use an amp that puts out about 150 watts of clean power!!!! make sure you image those speakers right or you WILL NOT get the most out of them.....best thing to do is build some kick panels for them!!!! and when you tune your amps for them.....listen to something you are very familiar with how it should sound....that will get you in the ballpark!!!! and that is a great deal on them man!!

Bronze Member

Flagstaff

Post Number: 18
Well I wont be getting a sub in the near future I just wanted to leave it open for upgrade. So you think I will be fine with just these speakers? I really dont want to have to get kick panels since I dont have time to make kick pods myself; I would have to buy Q-Logics for $180. I noticed that the way those Q-Logics are is that they have the tweets in the pod also. Is it right to have tweets at the floor? Also do you know if those panels are a permanent solution because I may not have this car for a long time and would like to have a system that I can uninstall with ease. And lastly, Kicker doesnt have a 300/2 all they have are 250 and 350/2's. Is it bad to have those speakers hooked up to 175w or is there a dial on the amp? Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member

Flagstaff

Post Number: 19
My mistake that is at 2 ohms. It seems that kicks dont run at 4 ohms is this right? Its not in their spec sheets.

Bronze Member

Flagstaff

Post Number: 20
Anyone know? (not to sound impatient)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us