System in '04 Civic possible?

Username: Lighter_up

Pearl Harbor, Hawaii USA

Post Number: 1
My friend has asked me to instal a minor system in his stock '04 Civic. Before I go poking around, can I get some info on it?
Can an amp and sub be hooked up to the stock head unit? Or is he gonna need an aftermarket?
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 440
yes it can but only if the amps have high level inputs (they use the speaker wire that connected the HU to the stock speakers.)

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 441
or you have to buy a line level converter which essentially does the same thing.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10767
use a line converter that taps into the harness behind the factory radio. PAC makes one, Peripheral offers one, and JL Audio makes a very good one called the CleanSweep.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4782
The question you should be asking is, is it worth the time and money?
I know what kind of system comes stock in a Civic. The HU is $15, speakers for the front and the rears are $5 each. In an Acura (enhanced version of Civic, it comes with $50 HU and $20 speakers).
You can install $1000 amp and it'll do no good for those cheap speakers.
Unless you replace HU/speakers in the car, don't bother. Not worth it.
If you just added an amp and a sub, all you'll be doing is drowning out the cheap mids and tinny highs, like sitting beside a woofer at a concert. Very distorted sound.
JL's cleansweep is expensive, over $300.
If your friend still wants a system, then replace the HU first. Then replace the stock speakers.
From there, you can add external amp and subs later.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 595
Don't do what I did, lol, got the speakers, amp, and subs installed, but kept the stock HU. Didn't sound too great...

Anonymous

Tyler, which LOC did you use to hook up your stock headunit to your amps? Are your speakers powered by the headunit or an external amp?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 602
My LOC was from a local audio shop, it was a "block box" without a resistor, and it turns out it was a possible fire hazard!

So...I can't exactly tell you much about LOC's for cars, except, get a new HU. Much simpler, sounds better, and not a fire hazard (unless you wire it up wrong).

My speakers were then, and now are (with the new HU) powered by my HU. My speakers need a 4-channel amp, as they don't play bass nearly loud enough as they should, well, not cleanly.

22W RMS isn't enough for my speakers I guess. Although, I don't believe they reach peaks of 350W and RMS values of 175W RMS, I think a good continuous 75-100W RMS would do them better.

Dacali
Unregistered guest
I've heard very good things about the LOC from Navone Engineering (www.davidnavone.com). Haven't heard one personally yet, but I've been wanting to try one out. The NE-774V looked like a good choice if you wanted to stick to the stock headunit.

I have Infinity Reference 6.5" components up front and Alpine 6"x9" Type-S in the rear of my '02 Civic EX. I originally had an Alpine CDA-9827 before it was stolen. If you upgrade your speakers, you should at least get a new headunit and/or get an amp for it. The stock headunit only puts out a few watts, and it just won't work well with aftermarket speakers. I had to deal with the stock headunit powering my aftermarket speakers for a week while my new one was being shipped. I wouldn't recommend it. :-)

Currently I'm running everything with an Alpine CDA-9847 which matches the interior very well at night with amber illumination. The speakers are powered by an Alpine MRP-F240 (4 x 40W RMS @ 4 Ohm).

If I were to redo everything, I'd would like to try the stock headunit with the Navone LOC and keep everything else. I'd just like to hear the differences between the stock headunit with a quality LOC and an aftermarket for myself.

If I can get my hands on an oscilloscope, I'd test to see at what volume level the stock headunit starts to clip the speaker-level output.

-Dacali
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us