Is a 30hz port tune on a sub w/31hz Fs not a good idea?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1033
okay well with all this RE trouble im becoming impatient lol. and i thought to myself.... what if i did something i dont knwo ANYONE has done yet....audioque. i could use my 1000/1 and get 3 12 inch LW series which are 300w rms. id have a little headroom although im sure the subs could easily take 500w rms. and i want to do like 8cuft with a ton of port area. i havent started figuring it all out yet i jus got this idea. i bet it would be a seriously loud system. but anyways. i want to do 30hz so i get as much musicality out of them as possible. but the Fs on the 12 is 31hz. thats pretty high. oh wow. i just noticed something .. the Qts is .49 ... so its "supposed" to go in a sealed box right? but ported will be fine...right? ... for you experts... what do you think? i definetly want to do ported so if it wont work out then scrap it. thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2332
if you port the box to 30 and the subs Fs is 31, then you will severely blow the subs.

also if you port a sub that is mechanically inclined to sealed, then it will sound like crap, and it will bottom out too easy.

j/k! lol

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2333
i think that if the sub has a higher Qts, then it has a relatively loose suspension. not sure though.

i was wondering about the Fs thing too.

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 151
i dont know what Qts and Fs mean and i was looking at getting 2 RE SE's what would be better sealed or ported, i was going to go with sealed, because its a triangular box to fit my hatch

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1034
ahhhh muddy! u deutschbag lol... wow i think i encountered a problem though... dammit theres always a problem... 3, 4 ohm SVC subs come out to 1.34 ohms.... is that the only way to wire them? because thats below 1.5 so i cudnt do it...

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1036
muddy, that cant be entirely true. because a ava has a very loose suspension but its qts is .305 i think.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2334
i know, i guess i should have just not assumed. lol

just using my retarded logic. lmao

Bronze Member
Username: Nocc1n

Louisa, VA US

Post Number: 58
lol nothin wrong with assuming, or using retard logic :-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1037
yup, nothing wrong.... as long as u catch ur retarded logic before u dump a ton of money into a system lol....

i wonder if zacdavis can get me a good deal on DD 2500 series...hmmm

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2335
START A NEW THREAD!!!:-)

*cough* forum hog *cough* LMBO(laughing my balls off) hehe i made a new one:-)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10757
you should be ok ported. for a 12" I'd go about 2cu ft net volume, use a 4" ID port, and tune it to about 34Hz and you should be fine.
set the amp subsonic filter to 30Hz and you shouldn't ever unload the sub that way.

you don't want to tune the box too low or you lose the benefits of having a ported box.
you need to be right in the area where it'll do the most good, and 34Hz is right about on the spot.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1039
sounds good glass. the only problem is the SVC 4 ohm... is there another way to wire it besides the 1.34 ohm load? ... i wish they had 15s id just get 2 of them. but 2 12s isnt enough lol

Anonymous

how can you tell what type of box your sub is made for?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4933
Low Qts means loose suspension, low moving mass, or really strong motor.

High Qts means tight suspension, high moving mass, or weaker motor.

Low Fs is from a loose suspension or a heavy cone (think about mass hung on a spring)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1047
by strong or weak motor you dont mean quality right? because audioque is basically digital designs and they are very good quality...but does any1 know if there is another more reasonable ohm load from 3 svc4 ohm subs?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4935
I just mean in motor strength, BL.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10764
the motor strength or BL of the driver reflects how much control the magnet/motor structore of the sub exerts on the moving mass.
it's a trade off. generally the more control the motor has, the more accurate or controlled the speaker is going to be, but the less efficient it'll be, too. a strong BL is good for SQ but not so good for SPL.
There are other factors affected as well but that gives you an idea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us