Two Mono Amps and a Stereo signal

Silver Member
Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 161
Through various tweaks and upgrades in my jeeps stereo i have a stack of RF 301m amps.

What are the drawbacks of splitting a stereo signal into two mono amps?
Two scenarios:
Splitting each side; right and left and sending one right and one left to each amp
Upload

or
Sending the right channel to one amp and the left channel to the other amp.
Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 162
this second one has the pictures wrong...when i posted it asked me to browse to the pictures referenced in the post a second time...i selected them backwards...and it created a second post...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10749
well, those are class D sub amps. they won't play anything over about 200Hz, so as long as this is just for subs, you can always put one amp on each sub.
I run my own car that way in fact.. I have two stereo amps bridged mono, and have one amp on each sub, with a third stereo amp handling the front stage.

you cannot use a class D mono amp to run the door speakers though.. it doesn't have the frequency range to do that.

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 167
Originally i had four 301Ms on four 10" DVCs..."upgraded" to a single 2500d...and adding two 10" subs (only have one more 301M left) i decided to replace my current lower quality amps that drive front and rear speakers..

...i thought the 301m was class A/B ...cant find reference to class in owners manual...it does say:
MODEL PUNCH 301M
Maximum Power Rating 900w @ 14.4volts
Mono into a 4ohm Load 150 Watts
Mono into a 2ohm Load 300 Watts
Signal-to-Noise Ratio >100dB A-weighted
Crossover Slope 12dB/octave Butterworth
Crossover Freq 50Hz to 250Hz
Crossover Type variable AP/LP
Frequency Response 20Hz to 20kHz ±0.5dB
Bandwidth 10Hz to 100kHz ±3dB
Damping Factor >200
Slew Rate 30 Volts/ms
IM Distortion (IHF) 0.05%

Based on this info would the two of these amps work well for the front speakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us