What would all of you do???

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 262
I sold my HU on ebay over 2 weeks ago. It was in perfect workign condition. Today i got a message from the buyer saying that the radio works, but the cd player doesnt. He told me to send him a refund and he would ship the item back. Since it has been 2 weeks, and i know for a fact that it was working perfectly when it was removed, i dont feel that i should give a full refund. I took out insurance on the item when i shipped it, and i feel that is the best route.

What would all of you do???

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 698
how old was it? maybe he fucked it up

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
i shipped it on September 28th, so he has had it for awhile now. He e-mailed me and told me that the radio sounds perfect and all, but when he plays a cd, it reads everythign find, but there is no sound.

Silver Member
Username: Comp98

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 105
ask him who installed it. If he says he did then blame him, he may have messed up and f*cked it up. If he says he had it installed by a professional, ask for proof. (fax reciepts or something like that)

If that doesn't work you can try contancting the shipping carrier, but I doubt that would work.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4731
What did you say on your auction? Did you say it was "as is" or did you offer some kind of guarantee?
I don't think you have to give full refund after 2 weeks of use. Contact eBay and they'll tell you your options.
At best, you could give him 30% money back, but that's your choice. He can't make you do anything.
Had he had a prof install it, then that would've been a different story.
Ask him if he has any background in electronics.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
I have found some info on this problem, and both sites i found that bring up the problem say that it is in the wiring when installing the unit.

this is from the auction

"ITEM IS IN PERFECT WORKING CONDITION, SO SHOULD NOT NEED TO BE RETURNED. PLEASE TAKE THE INSURANCE OFFER SO THAT IF FOR SOME REASON IT GETS DAMAGED IN SHIPPING IT WILL BE COVERED. IT IS HOWEVER AN OPTION, AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ITEMS I HAVE SENT DAMAGED BY UPS YET."

That is a vague statement to make, but it in now way is a gauantee, or a return policy. Other then that there is no mention of returning.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4733
You need to explain to the buyer then that he is just about SOL, unless he can prove to you that he has a degree in electronics or had a prof test the unit/install it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
True, thanks Isaac. I contacted ebay with an inquire of my options, just to cover myself in case he feels like reporting me to paypal or whatever. I am working with the guy to try and resolve his issue, and i am pretty sure that it has to do with the wiring.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10738
tell him the sale was "as is" no warranty stated or implied.
tough luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
He said that it was installed in his BMW by a professional audio BMW guy. He said he was going to try and get in their today to have it checked out.

Bronze Member
Username: Need4bass

Post Number: 33
I agree. It was purchased AS IS and no warranty was implied. At worst you'll get negative feedback from the buyer. You have no legal responsibility to refund his money, and after 2 weeks I'd say your moral responsibility has been met as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
The thing that worries me is this......

I purchased an XM direct connect tuner that was defective right from the start, and the seller said that it worked great. After getting a service tag showing that it was defective when going through paypal resolution, i am getting a full refund. Couldnt he do the same thing??

Username: M_white02

Post Number: 1
Hey i just bought a 2400 watt 2 channel rockford amp and i have 3 power acoustik 12's They r dvc and 4 ohm vc what is the best way to wire it up?

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
create your own thread and dont hijack. look for a subwoofer wiring diagram. Go to google and type in crutchfield subwoofer wiring diagram.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10748
well here's how it works..
if he wants a refund, he sends you the item back.
ONLY after you have it back, and match serial numbers to be sure its yours, and have it looked at to see how it was damaged and what the damage is, should you decide on sending him a refund or just returning the item with a receipt for the diagnosis.

cover your own rear end first and foremost.

you don't send money and wait for him to return the radio.. ever.

if he returns it to you, and states it was professionally installed, tell him you require a store receipt for the cost of installation along with contact information for the store where it was done.
follow up on it and call them. make sure its a real business, and they know what they're doing.

it's all in your best interest.
if the unit is fairly new, just RMA it instead of going through the hassle.
let alpine fix it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
I am not going to allow him to return it, i am just worried he might try to screw me over with paypal or something.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4755
That is why you email eBay first and explain. Remember, Paypal is owned by eBay.
If you have the money on paypal, you can remove it to your bank account and withdrawl it.
That is what the ba$tard did to me last year. I got no refund from eBay. It seems they will only reverse the transaction if you still have the money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4760

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
i have zero dollars in my paypal account at the moment. I withdraw payments immediately when i get them. I did email ebay, i am just waiting for a response. I am really curious what they will say. So far, the buyer has been really nice, but you never know what might happen.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4041
With electronics unless you are a dealer there is never a guarentee. Electronics break easily! Like Glass said cover your own as$ send paypal an e-mail also just to keep a heads up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
Thanks for you advice as well James. I just sent a message to paypal as well, explaining the situation. The buyer does seem allright at the moment, but ya never know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
I figured i would give you an update. The guy took it to the installer today, and he fixed it in like 3 minutes. That was what the guy told me anyway. He then thanked me and now everythings cool again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us