New system for 98 Accord - Comp Sub vs Powered Sub

Username: Admiral63

Austin, TX

Post Number: 1
I'm just starting out to build a high SQ system on a low budget (98 Accord) - not interested in SPL particularly.

Gonna figure out the HU after I know what connections I need. Thought I'd start with speakers and amp, then add sub and finally upgrade the HU.

I'm leaning towards a component set of 6.5" in the front and then a sub - no rear speakers, or possibly leaving the rear factory speakers for surround run off the HU.

Among other things, I'm debating buying a 4 chl amp and then building a component sub/enclosure combo - OR - buying a 2 channel amp and a powered sub. What's the opinion SQ of powered subs run off HU vs buying a 4 channel amp and a component sub and and an enclosure? Leaning towards a sealed box enclosure for tighter bass.

Gonna chose brands after I get these issues sorted out.

Opinions? Lotsa thoughts running around with little experience to choose. Appreciate any insight...

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 650
well greg, welcome to the forum. I have some suggestions for you. First, upgrade your source unit. Installing amps with a stock HU is a hassle, and if you plan to upgrade, you're making yourself a lot more work unnecessarily. Plus, you'll have to buy an output converter that you won't need after you upgrade. Second, you have the right idea with speakers. Go with 6.5 components and don't buy anything new for the rear. As for amping the components, I'd get a 4 channel amp and biamp them. This allows you fine tuning of the crossover points and you won't loose power by using the passive crossovers that came with the set. As for the sub, I'd stay away from powered subs. I've heard OK reviews of Infinity's Basslink stuff, but they have no place in a decent setup. I'd get one good SQ sub and an amp capable of pushing it. And yes, go with a sealed box. I'm sure we can help you pick out some stuff if you want.

Username: Admiral63

Austin, TX

Post Number: 2
Thanks for taking the time. Very helpful.

Now for the fun part... I'm thinking about the Polk Audio db6500 line - the budget thing - would like to spend under $200. Anyone heard these in a comparable car - they review reasonably well and I like the balance in the store. Just worried about how this translates to the Accord.

What else should I listen to at or around $200?

Also, when you say don't lool power by using passive crossover, would I somehow NOT use the supplied crossover when using a 4 channel amp?

Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 657
I actually have no experience with that polk line but if you look on the "speakers" forum, 6.5 components in the $200 range seem to come up a lot. Infinity perfect 6.1 and Alpine R types come to mind here, but I not too sure on pricing. As for bi-amping the components, here's how it works. You use a 4-channel amp with each channel powering one of your 4 drivers. So channels 1 and 2 are powering your left and right tweeters while channels 3 and 4 are powering your 2 woofers. Basically all amplifiers that you'll be looking at to power a $200 ish pair of components will give you very adjustable crossovers for each pair of channels, meaning that you won't need to use the passives that come with them. Many people see dramatically improved sound staging and imaging by playing around with active crossovers. Passive crossovers eat up power and ususally can't be adjusted, with the exception of sets have that have 1 or 2 possible adjustments that were put in by the designers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us