Eq or no eq?

Username: Tbonez

Post Number: 8
It seems that eqs have died off of in the last few years. I am considering purchasing an Audiocontrol EQS for equalization. If I buy one I will take the car and have the eq professionally set. Is there a reason why EQs have somewhat died off? With the following components will an eq help that SQ much???

Honda civic
6 1/2 JL audio seperates
10 inch JL sub
Two kicker amps
Alpine head unit

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1236
the dash mounted eqs have faded primarily because the 5 bands of eq are hardly worth the noise introduced into your system. aftermarket HU's come stock with superior units built in. thus making the aftermarkets obselete.
the big eq's, as you've noticed, is where it's at. because of the awful accoustics of an automobile, it's necessary to compensate. 30 band eq's afford you the opportunity to do this. they just aren't cheap. i eq 6 bands with my unit, all seperately.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1237
http://www.dak.com/reviews/Tutorial_frequencies.cfm
http://www.ethanwiner.com/equalizers.html

these might help

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10740
EQs are usually used as a fix for problems, like deficciencies caused by the vehicle acoustics or poor speaker positioning.
If you can avoid using an EQ, that's best. it keeps a cleaner, less colored signal path and reduces issues with phase shift and over-equalization giving a processed sound to the end result.

a lot of head units have built in digital EQs now as well, and many modern cars just don't have a lot of dash space for EQs additionally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1241
*edit* i eq 6 channels (not bands) with my unit, all seperately.

Username: Tbonez

Post Number: 9
This is great info...thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10751
as a side note, I use 1/3rd octave EQs to adjust the sound curve in my own car for competition.
they're relatively expensive EQs and require the use of an RTA to adjust, but tehy are used to compensate for the car environment and acoustic response. Most times this isn't needed, but in competition, the closer to perfect your curve, the more points ya walk away with.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us