Finally!!!

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 540
Took it to the local audio store. They said my alternator was putting out 12.5volts+ at idle with everything maxed and 14.4 while driving so it is fine. He said one of the terminals on the subwoofer was touching a metal part of the sub and causing it to heat up and send the amp into protection. He fixed it and now they work PERFECT. They are loud, accurate, and have awesome SQ. Loving every minute of them. I will reccommend them to everyone. The only question I have is how high can I turn it up... The gain is set halfway up on the amp, The subwoofer output on the HU is 0 on a -6 to +6 scale and I can crank the CD player and the more I turn up the volume the louder it gets. How do I know what is too much? Thanks!

Chris

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4718
Something's not right. Your alternator is suppose to generate 13.8v - 14.2v at idle. According to your post, it's 12.5v. That has to be from the battery.
Do not touch the gain/level setting. It has nothing to do with volume.
As you know, almost ALL HUs will distort around the max setting. So if you play at that setting for too long, you risk the chance of blowing your subs and the amp.
Listen to the music carefully. You should be able to tell when it's distorting.

Anonymous

there is nothing wrong with the alt putting out 12.5 at idle with the system going.... For those people that think this will clip their amp, then never run it with the car off b/c they will only get 12v. OMG

As long as you don't run your car at idle for EXTENDED periods of time you are fine. When you are driving and the voltage goes above 13 or so, your batteries are charging.

Think about it, it makes sense..... The electrical system in cars were designed to run in between 12 and 15 volts. If you don't believe me, look in your manual.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4723
Whoa there anonymous, go to www.bcae1.com and read up on charging system.
Be very careful when you give out free advices.

Chris, if at idle your voltage hit 12.5v at night, you will either stall the car or cause some serious dimming lights. Your headlights will use up almost 15A - 20A of current.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3185
Lol really?
My voltage has hit 11.5 and it didn't stall... was I close?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4725
Well it depends on your car. Some will stall, others it will sound like your car's going to die.
If you see 11.5v, you're pretty close to killing your battery (unless it's deepcycle).

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3187
Lol, that would explain it.:-)
I'm actually wating for the Alt to die so my dad has to buy an HO alt.

Bronze Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 18
Well i had a older car that did 9.0 9.5 volts while driving my battery didnt die my cxar dindt stall and my system hit loud there was a short in my car and i still drove it like that for like 6 months nothing happened. my car did seem to run a little ruffer but not much. i dont know what happerned after that since i sold vthe car

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3197
Theres all ways an exception to every rule though...

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1055
My Jeep's alternator doesn't kick anything out until 800rpm...

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 542
Well, since I mainly drive the car while listening to it. Once in a blue moon do I park it and keep it idleing and turn up my system. I think that i am fine considering the guy said it was reading right around 14.4 while everything was going and the car was moving. He said that my alternator is perfectly fine although he did say just to play on the safe side, keep it lower when at night with A/C and lights on etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4729
Julian, be glad you weren't the one buying a used car like that.
Jake do you have HO alternator? Mine produces even at idle. The voltage reading is 14.6v at 700rpm. With full stereo blast, it drops to 13.5v.
Anyhow, if you get 12.5v, it means the power is being sucked from the battery. Not a wise move with one battery. Don't do it during winter.

Bronze Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 20
lol isaac i sold that crap for 700 dollars. How do you find out how a car has a short anyway and where its coming from. I never took it to a shop cause people told me it would cost too much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4740
Julian, you will need DMM and isolate the problem one wire at a time. It shouldn't take that long either.
Any normal car battery will die once it drops 11v. Therefore, your problem could've been a bad ground somewhere.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us