Now my lights are dimming (attn: glasswolf)

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 533
Ok, so I figured why my amplifier kept cutting out when I started reaching 1/3 to 1/2 volume. My lights start dimming pretty bad. I have a mitsubishi lancer with an 80 amp alternator (i think, on the battery a peice says 100A Alt) but I don't believe it. Anyway, the amplifier has 2 30 amp fuses on it and I would like a little headroom. What is my cheapest option? Glass, you said something about having someone rebuild it pretty cheap? What is "pretty cheap" and can they get it to handle the power I need? THanks

Bronze Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 95
nothing is cheap cheap like you want you are going to have to get a new alternator and run the biggest wire you can fit in the amp too if the lights are dimming bad everthing else is messing up too and who knows whats happining to the computer what kind of amp do you have anyway

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4699
Chris, your stock alternator may be 100A, but most of that is used by the car itself. This is why your lights dim with the volume up.
In your case, you only have 2 solution, keep the volume down or get HO alternator. What GlassWolf meant by rebuilding is, there are companies that will take your stock alternator and upgrade it to higher current, like 160A. It is cheaper than getting a new HO alternator, cause you're basically paying for labour and parts. Whereas, the other route would require getting a whole new alternator (alterantor cost, plus parts and labour).

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2269
miy stock alt was 85A. and i have a 2003 lancer.:-)

so i went out and bought a 220A.....not cheap.

my lights were dimming(very very very little) when i had just my 350wRMS amp running everything.:-(

Bronze Member
Username: Comp98

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 94
I always hear people say upgrade the alternator but aren't thier negative side effects to doing so? Lower gas mileage, horsepower, etc. I don't know about you guys but with gas prices getting higher and higher I'm a little worried about my mpg and losing Horsepower. I would hate being second on a green light when the guy next to me is driving a mini-van.

And what about the
1. the big 3
2. adding a yellow-top battery
3. Adding a cap (maybe)
then finally:
4. New Alternator.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4701
Comp98, there already was a discussion on this subject before by GlassWolf. Not sure if you can still search on it.
The conclusion was, the drop in horsepower and mileage was so minimal, you'd hardly notice it.
If you had 250HP and lost 1 or 2, you will not see it.
1 - upgrading big 3 costs as little as $35 and can be done yourself easily.
2 - not required unless you like listening to stereo with engine off.
3- can be installed for filtering power ripples.
4 - you can get a new HO alternator or upgrade your stock for a smaller cost.

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 98
Well that clears that up. Then he should definately upgrade the big 3 and get a new HO alternator.
Sorry, he asked the same question I would be asking in about a week so I thought I should get it out of my system now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4702
No need to be sorry, we're all here to help and learn. :-)

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 100
Meant to say Sorry to chris for sort of hijacking his thread. lol

But yeah thanks for the help Issac.

Silver Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 101
Meant to say sorry to Chris for sort of hijacking his thread.

But thanks for the help Issac. Now I have to upgrade my alt. before I put in my SX12.

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 208
how much is it advge to upgrade your stock alt to like a 165 or 200a and how long will it take to get back to you?

lol and why cant u post (a d v) on here?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4011
your best bet would be to call I believe when I checked into it they said 10 days. Go to a junk yard and see if you can pick one up for cheap then send that one out. what kind of car do you have.

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer. With that 2 30 amp fuse amplifier, what size alt do I need? Can I just have someone locally rebuild it? I don't need any insane size, maybe a 120 or 130? How much would it be? Aiming at under $100, POSSIBLY?? :/

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
would this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALTERNATOR-LANCER-2002-2003-60834_W0QQitemZ800603 1855QQcategoryZ33573QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Having 2 80 Amp factory alternators. Would that work?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4704
Chris, why are you trying to cut corners? Alternator is one of the most important piece in your car when it comes to power generation.
If you don't have the cash now, save up. Until then, keep the volume down.
The average cost of HO alternator is around $150 - $300, depending on your car's make and model.
If go through an auto parts store, they will charge 2x or more for it. Only cause they don't specialize in HO alternators. Same goes for auto mechanics. If you took the HO alternator to a local shop and asked them to install it for you, almost 99% of them will want to charge $300 minimum with no guarantees.
That is due to their lack of experience and knowledge in electronics.
The funny thing is, if you say it's just a regular alternator, they will charge you by the book, 1 hour's work of labour.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4024
I second Isaac! amen brother!lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us