Testing head unit without installation?

Username: Mistaong1

Post Number: 1
I sell car DVD and Audio decks on ebay and I got a couple of them back and want to test them to make sure they are actually dysfunctional without having to hook them up in my own car. Is there a way I could get a car batttery and somehow jimmy rig it direct to the Player? I know you can get boxes that plug in-direct to an electrical outlet, but I don't want to drop $200 to get one.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 645
just out of curiosity, how did you orignally come upon this merchanise? anyway, the best way is to acquire a DC power supply that plugs into the wall as you said, but a car battery will work for very temporary purposes. If you wanted to recharge the battery, you could buy a 10A trickle charger, or just drive it around the block a few times.

Post Number: 2
I bought them in bulk direct from the manufacturer and I drop ship them. Thanks. How would I, and what type of wiring connectors or adapters would I need to hook up to tha battery?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 646
well car batteries have 2 posts, one plus and one minus. You can pick up a set for 2 bucks at any advance or trac auto. onto this you need to screw on a (+) and a (-) wire with ring terminals on them. then on the other end of those 2 wires you'll have bare wire. Put a fuse on the (+) side to protect your equiptment and then just connect the (+) and (-) wires to the inputs of the head unit. Use an in-line crimp terminal. Leave the negative ring terminal off until you're done hooking everything up so you don't get a nasty shock. What kind of profit margins do you have on the stuff you sell? I'm not trying to compete, i'm just curious. send me a "private message" if you don't want to put it out there for all to see. Thanks

Post Number: 3
Thanks! Sounds easy enough. The actual company isn't mine. I help manage it for a friend and I really couldn't tell you the margins without getting his permission. Sorry.

asds
Unregistered guest
take the red and yellow wires from the back of the deck get a piece of wire connect red and yellow to the positive battery terminals on your car and the black wire from the back of the deck to the negative terminal on your battery turn it on

asds
Unregistered guest
take the red and yellow wires from the back of the deck get a piece of wire connect red and yellow to the positive battery terminals on your car and the black wire from the back of the deck to the negative terminal on your battery turn it on

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2010
I wouldn't personally hook up any bare wires to the battery loosely like that.

In the original scenario, all that was necessary was a 10 amp max power supply, really. And they're about $50. If I was in the DVD/headunit business, I would definitely get a power supply for professionalism, safety, and overall, the convenience...

Post Number: 4
Yeah I am going with buying the amp. They have just what I need at the radio shack down the street for $70.

Bronze Member
Username: Yada

Post Number: 33
You can use a power supply from the computer. It outputs 12v @ 15ish amps for a crappy one. Perfect for testings even with amps hook up. You can buy it much cheaper than any Ratshack POS power supply or just rip one off your old computer.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2013
Power supplies from computers work, but they have a really dirty power output. Aside from that, they have an inefficient cooling system...so they would get damaged
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us