My ports sound bad

Bronze Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 69
i have a 15' box with the two holes in it. i ported it today with PVC piping. the PVC is about a centimeter sammler than both holes, maybe a little bit less, about half a centimeter. but any wasy i put these in reinforced the end and sealed them inside and out.sealed around the back of my box and put the back piece back on and waited for it to dry all day. i hooked it up and now it is not as loud as it was with out the ports. why is this? are my ports to small? or too deep? or not deep enough? the sub vibrates alot more but i cant hear it. will it be louder when i put more power to it? right now its running off the HU i know that is very bad but i dont do often at all. i dont have license yet and im workin to get an amp. but it was louder on the HU without ports. i know that was bad to. just holes no ports.

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 70
well?

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 72
i would appreciate it if any 1 could tell me what they think is wrong.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2194
well.....you ported a box and you don't even know what freq. it is tuned at.

you are running the sub off of the HU.

and the ports are loose in their cut-out holes.

those all seem like problems to me. lol

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 376
well an amp would certainly make it louder. Your sending like 20 watts to your sub, lol.

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 73
no the ports are sealed in there real good and reinforced at the ends real good.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1247
cory,

what subs, what size PVC, what size box, and what did you tune the box too?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2199
sorry, i misread your chicken scratch.:-) lol j/k.....no, not j/k, you need to proofread your posts!!!!:-O

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 75
i got a clarion 15 inch DVC 500 watts rms, i tried to fix my errors but it wouldnt let me i sent it to ealry noticed the errors then it was too late sorry about that. i dont know how to tune a box. my port holes are too small i know. the holes were about 1.5 inch and the pvc is about 1 inch. im going to buy a professional box if this 1 is crap. it is home made.but it was free i got 2 of them. the boxes arent small at all.i have a link if u want to see 1...

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 78
should i keep with the box i have untill i save up for a good amp. i was thinking rockford fosgate for an expensive price. only because the only place around here to buy new audio eqipment has a small selection, but then after i get my amp save up for a new ported porfessionally fabricated box, good idea? then there is another place a bit further from here i have not checked what they have in stock for equipment or prices, maybe i will got there.

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 79
?

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 263
i would like to see the link

Bronze Member
Username: Johntheguy

Post Number: 23
did you mean to say you were gonna get a rockford fosgate amp for an expensive price or did u mean inexpensive. don't answer that actually, nevermind

Bronze Member
Username: Johntheguy

Post Number: 24
did you mean to say you were gonna get a rockford fosgate amp for an expensive price or did u mean inexpensive. don't answer that actually, nevermind

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10725
porting a box doesn't mean just cutting holes in it and shoving some arbitrarily cut lengths of PVC into the box.
port tube lengths and diameters are based on box volume so you need to calculate the right tube lengths.
for a 15" sub, just use a single 6" ID port, and calculate the right length.
seal the port tube into the box by caulking around the tube inside the box so air won't leak around the deal.
the length of that port will determine it's tuned frequency.
shoot for about 32Hz

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 84
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119735

thats the link for pics of my box, they are at the bottom. this is b 4 porting.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 283
Those ports are entirely too small for that sub, not to mention they're not tuned to any certain frequency.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1251
corey,

what are the actual measurements of that box...(Length, width, and hight). also, is it made out of 3/4" plywood?

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 85
i dont think its ply wood and i have never checked the measurments of the box. the wood is layered but i peel layers off it when trying to pry it open. ill check the measurments later...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us