Glasswolf-rewiring tinsel leads

Username: Armedforglory

FL U.S.

Post Number: 4
can you rewire/resolder tinsel leads to a subwoofer? my sub has a frayed out lead, and I took it to an audio shop, but they told me that they would have to re-cone it to get it to work properly again..I recall a post by glasswolf a long time ago about this, but cant remember what was said. I already checked bcae1.com, so what can you guys tell me?

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 323
Well, I have a horror story for you.
I asked that before, and I received a little advice... among that advice, Glasswolf told me NOT to use solder to reconnect my torn tinsel leads. He said it would eventually get hot, and melt down the tinsel lead. Creating a "hard" lead rather than a flexible one. Of course, I figured: He's gotta be right, but I'll do it anyway just so I can have SOMETHING in my d,a,m,n car. I mean something is definately better than nothing if you ask me, right?
WRONG!
Check this out, I fixed it - and I was ALL F,U,C,K,I,N,G happy with my bumping little c,r,a,p,p,y subwoofer. Especially with the fact that I had resurrected its sorry a,s,s! It lasted at pretty high excursion levels (probably mostly because of the extra long leads I created - lol)for a pretty long time.
Then, one day, came a smell from between my girlfriends legs (the sub was on the passenger floorboard - by the way)... and I knew it was my sub RIGHT AWAY!! She looked, and freaked out!!!

THE GOD D,A,M,N THING HAD F,U,C,K,I,N,G LIT ON FIRE!!! YES, FIRE! IN MY CAR!

It's funny to me now just writing this s,h,i,t - but trust me it was NOT funny at the time. I almost burnt up my freaking car, man!

Aparently, for an unofficially determined reason, the subwoofer literally managed to create heat from "wherever" and the surround on the subwoofer began to burn - thus creating flames... duh! lol
Man, I'm lucky it didn't happen as we were leaving the car instead. I would've returned to a car fire and would've had nothing to put it out with but tears! lol

(of course, I know what REALLY happened... I didn't count on there being more to the story - or the possibilites of danger when Glasswolf gave me his advise. But he ain't no f,u,c,k,i,n,g mind reader. How was he supposed to know I was gonna do it anyways!!! lol

So, Glasswolf, if you're out there:
"I guess I learned my lesson. You definately gave me good advice. Sometimes, though, it seems that for some people, the best way to learn is the hard way. Because trust me, I'll definately listen to all advice more carefully... and definately apply common sense more often... and MOST definately question my own expertise in comparison with the ones who are obviously more experienced than me (whom by the way are trying to HELP me) lol.

So... back to the drawing board!!!! Anybody got a dirt cheap sub (that works - lol) for sale to hold me over while I continue my subwoofer shopping EPIC adventure?

Thanks for reading... I laughed alot while writing!
Peace.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 438
"Then, one day, came a smell from between my girlfriends legs (the sub was on the passenger floorboard - by the way)... and I knew it was my sub RIGHT AWAY!! She looked, and freaked out!!! " Greatest comment EVAR!

Reminds me of a joke my friend and I came up with.

If a girl has a dirty vag!na, she smells like fish right? And a girl with a yeast infection smells like bread rising right? Well what if a girl with a dirty vag!na has a yeast infection, does she smell like a fish sandwich? And if you want tartar sauce on that, you have to get into that fish sandwich.

I know, that's slightly inappropriate, but we had a good time working it out. (Getting it to flow just right and all.)

That's what happens when two geniuses are bored me = 148 IQ, my friend = 164 IQ. Oh well...

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 73
Sorry Tyler, but you are full of crap.

Einstein, who was probably one of the most intelligent people to have walked the Earth in the last century, was estimated to have an IQ of around 160.

I doubt anyone who would make that stupid joke up, and use such poor grammer as you have would have an IQ higher then Einstein.

Silver Member

Post Number: 447
Umm, I don't know, that's what he got when he was tested at school for the "Enrichment Program", and that was my score when I was tested during a psychological when I was about 4 years old. I have papers to prove it, although, it may have been more like 143 or so, I can't remember exactly, but I know for fact mine is in the 140's, as are my Mother and Father's.

My friend possibly could be lying though...And as far as my grammar, I'll have you read a paper I wrote in my College English Class based on the Audibility of Distortion.

<---begin>

The Audibility of Distortion
During the biggest rock concert of the year, a band, FourthWall, decides that they will attempt a brief sound check before heading out on stage, however, little do they know that the sound may be perfect to them, but no matter what they do, they will never be able to achieve perfect sound, which is sound lacking all distortion. Overall, the want for perfect sound leads to the contemplation of, is there any way to remove all distortion, be it from music or a signal processor? However, the answer is blatantly, no. For many years audiophiles and engineers of electro-mechanical-acoustic products have attempted to remove all distortion from sound and products which produce sound, but even with their dedicated efforts, their attempts have proved futile.
From the earliest of audio equipment producers, Harry Olson of the RCA company, completed research on what was called a "wide-band" system (a system with a frequency response elevating to 15 KHz). He discovered that THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) levels up to 2% were audible to the human ear. However, in efforts to compete with others' research, researchers working for Shure Brothers revealed that as high as 5% THD could be heard. On the other hand, in order to help put an end to all of this insanity of audibility of distortion levels, Bryan and Parbrook, a pair of researchers attending the University of Liverpool, provided interesting results about the audibility of distortion.
They used pure tones generated by means of Helmholtz acoustics resonators to assure an absolute minimum of electrically or externally generated distortion. When they added small amounts of the second tone, they found that the distortion threshold level (the amount of distortion that could just barely be detected) was less than 0.5% (Milner 67).
Containing several tools of audibility, the human body uses the head, ears, auditory nerve, and the brain to process sound. To continue, by looking through the ear from the outside, an early part to be examined is the "pinnae", which are an extremely important role in the sonic direction-finding. All sound is collected by the "pinnae" and led down to the auditory canals which resonate at 3 KHz. This resonation helps to make sense of why the ears are primarily sensitive to only "just-audible" sounds. Finally sound is sent from the center of the ear, which contains three bones and a muscle. The bones are known as "ossicles." The "ossicles" and muscle, which together act as a mechanical transformer, and when coupled with the "oval window," act as a gain control, or compressor. Finally, closest to the brain, rigid hair cells in the inner ear wave as if they were seaweed under the ocean, where each hair cell is tuned to its own frequency. When a hair cell is aroused by its frequency, a "chemical neural impulse" is delivered to the eighth nerve of the brain. In other words, just one of these hair cells works as a bandpass filter, a level detector, a smoothing network, and a transducer (Davis 49).
Overall, the ear and the brain cooperate in order to create a sound analyzer. However, one of the most amazing abilities of our installed auditory system would be the ear's ability to incorporate a dynamic range of 120dB, which allows for a range of ten octaves of frequencies to be heard, as well as to segregate direction, tone color, and melodic detail while listening to the equivalent of a hundred-piece orchestra (Milner 66).
However, frequency responses of audio equipment take into consideration the amplitude limits of the user's auditory system as well as the frequency. This is in part due to the ear having a bandwidth range of 20Hz -- 20 KHz, which shows one of our first psychoacoustical hindrances, where there is a lack of hair cells to respond to frequencies outside of the bandwidth range of 20 Hz -- 20 KHz. Even worse, as a person continues to age (especially males) their upper frequency range is reduced to that of only 15 KHz (Davis 49).
Another problem with the auditory system of a human is its ability to respond to many different phase shifts in various ways. One of the most accurate ways to measure the ear's ability to respond to these phase shifts is to test it with the "time of arrival" of a sound to the two ears, Whereas, interval ranges are 0 seconds for sounds equidistant from the ears to nearly 675 microseconds for sources precisely to the left or right of the cranium. Another key point of the human auditory system is that of transient response. Basically for the transient responses to not be lowered, a system must have a "flat" frequency response and significantly low phase shift, distortion, and overall noise (Davis 50).
Once a sufficient understanding of the ear is acquired, one can begin to fully comprehend how distortion works. Distortion, which is known as, ". . . An undesired change in waveform. Noise and certain desired changes in waveform, such as those resulting from modulation or detection, are not usually classified as distortion." Overall, the main point of distortion is that it is "undesired." Rock artists create distortion using special equipment such as flangers, phasers, and peak clippers to create a different type of musical enjoyment; however, this is not the type of distortion which is "undesired." Basically audio companies add controlled distortion to products in order to make up for limitations of transducer systems, as well as to transfer signals to one medium to the next more efficiently and effectively (Milner 65-66).
Since distortion exists, where does this undesired noise come from? Some places distortion can be hidden are during the playback of "source materials," such as through cassettes, CD's, and even digital music (MP3's). This is a product of the physical limitations of the transducers applied to convert the saved acoustic information into electrical waveforms that are amplified and returned to acoustic energy. While playing back discs, distortion is found because of a vast amount of "electromechanical" possibilities. Some of these possibilities are as follows: various tracking and geometry differences in the cutting and playback equipment used for records as well as CD's, the elasticity (applies to records mostly) of materials used, and the mass of the stylus (applies to records only) to name a few. Some problems with CD distortion is that of the "bit rate" in which the original MP3 was created. Basically, the lower the bit rate in which the music is recorded, the greater the distortion in the music and vice versa. Also, the power of the laser used in burning the CD can play a role, as a more efficient laser will allow for more detail of music placed on the CD (Milner 66).
Although there are different sources of distortion, there are two main types of distortion, linear and non-linear. Basically non-linear distortion is primarily based on the capability of a woofer to create harmonics and/or intermodulation products in amplitude and frequency combinations that were not available in the signal previously provided to the woofer. However, through research of linear distortion, it is easier to think of the woofer as a system having resonances that are capable of saving energy, which is dealt out over time. On the other hand, the creation of new tones is not a specification of linear distortion (Sanfilipo).
In order to be able to properly perceive the distortion that is heard as "undesired," a "Listening Test" may be administered to rule out any conflicts. A "Listening Test" involves a "blind" listener who compares two samples known as "A" and "B," and must reveal on his/her own opinion on which sample provides the worst listening experience. By having the listener be "blind" it provides a fair comparison, as the listener has no idea as to which sample is the original and which is distorted, other than by using his/her own ears to decipher. Since the test is "enforced" it allows the listener to come clean with an "I don't know" answer. However, listeners are still asked for their opinions as to which they think may have been the distorted signal and why (Article 2).
One technique that is useful to audio listeners is the "Auralization Technique". It allows for the finding of the displacement, velocity, voice coil temperature, and much more of a loudspeaker. In other words, it is useful for the "subjective listening impression" as well as the "objective parameters" of a given speaker. The overall product of these "individual nonlinearities" can then be tested alone, where the following of "artifacts" in the "listening impression" leads to the original cause, which is physical (How it Works).
In conclusion, much distortion is not heard by the human ear. This allows for many companies to "pull the wool over" the eyes of many consumers today with ratings such as <0.1% THD. Where in reality, that rating may be true, but is not important as humans are not equipped with the auditory means to hear such noise. Therefore, the band FourthWall needed not worry about the distortion, since it is not audible. Finally, research not only on audio products must be considered when speaking of the audibility of distortion, but the many facets of the ear which still, in part, remain a mystery to serious audiophiles and audio engineers alike.

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
The indentions didn't carry over from the copy and paste, but you get the idea. But I think that proves my literacy, as I had to be able to read and comprehend my sources in order to write such a paper.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10711
for the record, a friend of mine has an IQ of 158 and she's in the top 100th percentile.. loopy as a fruitcake, but she's intelligent. She's got me beat by over ten points lol.
Marilyn vos Savant's IQ is 228, Steven Hawking's is 200 and Albert Einstein's was 160 for what it's worth.

Anonymous

what does this have to do with tinsel leads?
and who cares what the number of your IQ is?
as long as you know what you are talking about when it comes to car audio then your fine.

i just don't understand some things.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10715
I was responding to Tyler actually. If you'd read and comprehended the rest of the thread, you'd have seen that and possibly understood it without the snide commentary... or would it be better catagorized as dysentery?

I've answered the question about tinsel leads already in other threads. A simple cursory search would reveal that.

Anonymous

actually, i too was responding to Tyler.

i did read and comprehend the whole thread, but what i don't understand is the uneccesary need to post his term paper to try and back up his also unneeded OT Post regarding his and his friends and his parents IQ.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10716
liar! you were being mean to me! I can tell!

I just know it! you hate me don't you!!! WHY??? what did I ever do to you?? I was always nice to you even when you used to steal my lunch money!

:P

you replied again before I could come back and apologize for being unintentionally mean actually.. oh well.
time to go eat.

maybe some square pizza... hmmm

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2180
hmmmmmmm......square pizza. lol

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 48
Darn it now you made me hungry...LOL

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2183
i am always hungry.:-(

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 49
Well when you weigh in at 230+ lbs like I do being hungry is a lifestyle...lol...yeah i'm a "big boy" but I ain't too ashamed of it i'd rather be big than super skinny...not to offend anyone who is skinny...it's just not my thing.

Bronze Member
Username: Corey

Post Number: 37
*drooling* ahhhhhhhh square pizza with all types of meats and cheeses you can possibly buy and an ice cold coke.

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
It's a good term paper...I read part of it out loud to my class, and the teacher said "It sounds good, but I have no idea what any of it means, maybe you should make it simpler."

Oh well...

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2185
i weigh in right at 230lbs.

BIG Boys Represent! lol

i'm getting hungrier by the second. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
wow i feel small.:-( I weigh about 130 give or take a few pounds.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2188
haha, how tall are you?

i am 6'1" with my shoes off. LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I'm about 5'4". Yeah I know I'm short. For xmas I want a growth spurt. lol

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2189
"For xmas I want a growth spurt."

LMAO, that is a classic.:-)

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 50
HA got ya both beat on the big boy thang...5' 8" and 235lbs. BIG BOY and yes I love my Beer and Pizza especially square...LOL

FL U.S.

Post Number: 10
marie curie's IQ was rumored to be 200 as well..

Bronze Member

FL U.S.

Post Number: 11
yeah, glasswolf still didnt answer my question...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us