Sub Boxes, really make that much of a difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Kevbo887

Post Number: 30
So I decided to buy the Best Buy special for a few dollars more and return the bass tube.
Ok, well I have a 10" dual box lying around but the subs are 12". Obviously dont fit, well one sorta fits, the other just lies there. Anyways, im using it temporarily untill tomorrow.
It sounds like nothing, like there is very little to no extra bass whatsoever. I know its not the amp/subs because the bass tube sounded better then this and its 4xless powerfull rms. Its a bandpass box btw, and when I had 10" in it before it sounded awesome , but if you took the fiberglass or w/e it was off of it, then it sounded really weak and not to appealing.

Anyways, for these 12" Circuit City has a sale right now at the store near me since this one is going out of buisness and they have an MTX dual 12" sub box for 30 bux.( http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-Dual-12-Subwoofer-Enclosure-BS212S-/sem/rpsm/ oid/119724/catOid/-13094/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do ) Figured id give it a go, and hope it sounded better. What do you think?

Now, from your guys experience, do boxes really make that much of a difference? Like, I dont see why the bass would sound different in different boxes, or why you would even need a box, but im assuming it has something to do with vibrations and echos?

Also, I had my old amp and subs wired like this:

Two wires coming off of the amp with two wires connected to one of the wires. One wire went into each of the power connectors. But the extra two wires went to the negative sides of each of the connectors. This was supposedly wired as a "mono- amp 1 or 2 ohm wiring job that would make it sound a lot better aka circuitcity) I figured I would give it a shot with this --> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7218888&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03081&id=1114638698347

I dont think it would matter would it? Or should I just get rid of that extra wiring and connect each one by itself to the power connectors?

Alright, im done rambling, thanks for the help and feedback guys I appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 440
Dont take this th ewrong way. This is just so you understand.

Boxes are like clothes.sure someone can put on your pair of pants and they will cover his legs and probably the glutt too. If you re just looking to cover skin, the almost any pair of pants will do, even somethging 6 sizes smaller.

But,

If you are looking at putting on a pair of pants that fit you perfectly, then you would need a custom tailored pair to fit you. Yes custome tailored. Thats right. Even a S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXL... etc would not be a perfect fit.

Thats what makes the difference between a box you just happened to have lying arround the house and one that is custom tailored for you application.

Size (volume), shape, sealed, ported, bandpass, transmission line, etc.... they all make a huge difference.

Check out this site.

www.bcae.com

Bronze Member
Username: Dementedvisions

Cedartown, GA

Post Number: 22
I will sell you 4 12" MTX mzs1204 subs for around 180 bucks then you can make a custom box and save and buy a lil better amp

then you will be set let me know we can use ebay or whatever

http://www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com/products/index.cfm?ProdType=2&cat=1&compare=0

Username: Armedforglory

FL U.S.

Post Number: 3
mixneffect...that is:
www.bcae1.com
bcae.com is some site for the arizona business council for alcoholic education..checked it cuz it looked funny, and that was pretty funny..lol

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 441
ha ha ha

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4912
"Now, from your guys experience, do boxes really make that much of a difference? Like, I dont see why the bass would sound different in different boxes, or why you would even need a box, but im assuming it has something to do with vibrations and echos?"

The box makes an enormous difference in the performance of the system. It isn't for vibrations and echos, it is to give the suspension of the subwoofer the compliance needed in order to operate properly. A smaller box tightens the suspension, a larger box will loosen the suspension. Other than frequency response, a box determines the mechanical power handling of the sub and also alters the resonant frequency of the system. A box too small will have high power handling, but will be very resonant and will sound boomy, it will also lack low end. A large box will have great transient response, flat response and wide bandwidth (drops low), but it will lack power handling. The parameters of the subwoofer will determine how large the enclosure should be, as well as what type of enclosure you should use.

If you're uncomfortable making a box, find out what the manufacturer recommends and try to find a box that suits your needs.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10712
"Now, from your guys experience, do boxes really make that much of a difference? Like, I dont see why the bass would sound different in different boxes, or why you would even need a box, but im assuming it has something to do with vibrations and echos?"

all the difference in the world. the enclosure design entirely affects the response of the driver, as does the cabin of the vehicle you're putting the enclosure into, and the positioning of that box.
here's more detailed info on exactly what the differences are:
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us