180 sumthin db

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 302
my friend 2 day went to the local audio shop an the 1 guy told him they had a truck or car that did like 180sutmhin db an he said its enough 2 make ur heart stop an set off a peacemaker by the car or w/e is that true a car can that much db ill try find out more whne i go

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3059
Port wars is the only way to reach in the 180's I believe.
The world record is 178 and some change.
When you go back and find out some more info, see what kind of meeter was used, and if it was legal.
Do to the atmosphere, I don't think its possable to reach that kind of pressure.
The spaceshuddle is louder, but the fuel burning changes the atmosphere allowing it to do so.

P.s, don't for get to find out what kind of equipment was used.:-)

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3060
Oh, and you don't have to be in the 180's to stop a heart.
I think you can do that in the 150's... but not completely sure about that.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 403
Taylor, not the 180's, but generally the high 160's is a safe bet if you're trying to kill someone :-).

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 178
lol tryin to assassinate someone ? ;)

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
Not with my Volfenhags lol.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3069
Lol yeah.
I actually sat in a truck that could stop a heart.
As you can tell, he didn't completely turn it up,:-) but he turned it quite aways up.
I can't even describe what it felt like.
Maybe like a miget trying to fight his way out of my chest.
Either way, I almost crapped my pants.
Defenantly couldn't breathe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
What's with the midget jokes today...Check out the Volfenhag??? thread for another one...

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3074
Hmm, lol don't know.
Sorry if I offended.:-)
Just a kawensedence maybe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
Yea, you offended my 5'11" midget self. I'm not extremely tall, but I'm not a midget...

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3076
Lol... I'm pretty close... only 5/5.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 446
I though i read somewhere that 180 was the loudest something could possible be in earth's atmosphere. i'm not totally sure on that though.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 266
The only way I can see 150 DB stopping your heart is if you already have a heart condition. People sit in 150+ DB cars on burps without even covering their ears (bad idea, but it's true).

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4908
194db is considered the theoretical maximum SPL, which is double atmospheric pressure when compressing and a perfect vacuum during rarefaction. It is considered this because the amount of compression will be equal to atmospheric pressure, after that you have surpassed the pressure of the atmosphere and no compression occurs. The only way you could go past 194 would be if you changed air properties, did the test where pressure is higher (underwater, or under sea level), or create a shockwave, basically a sonic boom, which would require that the speaker move faster than the speed of sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 69
Jonathan, cant some animals produce almost 190 dB? I think the Blue Whale can do something crazy like 188 dB.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2134
"Either way, I almost crapped my pants."

*mental picture* LMAO!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4909
"Jonathan, cant some animals produce almost 190 dB? I think the Blue Whale can do something crazy like 188 dB."

Yup. It's underwater, though, one of the stipulations I mentioned above.

Bronze Member
Username: Corey

Post Number: 31
Jonathan, I have a question. If it were possible to put a sub in a dense solid, and still be able to play it, could you play 200+ dB's?

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 349
If you put the sub in a dense Solid how would the cone move?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
I was speaking hypothetically.:-) I thought since water is more dense than air, more pressure could be created, therefore a solid should produce more pressure than water.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1028
Not a solid, but a dense liquid so you have movement. But that would require imense amounts of power. It's been deemed "litterally impossible" as we decided in a class I took in the Marines.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4910
Assuming you had air or water and it was as dense as a solid, you would have tremendous SPL capability.

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 47
Here's one at what db does your typical auto-grade glass "break"? Since we all know that front windows don't shatter like typical windows are they tougher to break? Do you have to hit a certain Hz. to break it? (I am sure everyone has heard of the high c note breaking glass)...Just wondering since were all getting so scientific...LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
Yes, Andy, the frequency does play a part, if you had a tweeter powerful enough to hit high enough frequencies at that amplitude, then yes, it could be done.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2159
i'm gonna go seal up my box and fill it with Jell-O, and hit 175dbs.:-O
while breaking every slab of glass in my car. ROFL!

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 397
hahahha ill throw some pudding in mine and we'll see who can hit louder lol

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2162
LMAO!!! YOUR ON!!!:-O

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3971
Low-frequency sound (below 1,000 hertz) goes farther. You may not be able to hear the singers on your neighbor's stereo, but you can hear the bass.

ATOC uses the ocean's natural channels to transmit low frequency thousands of kilometers. Sound travels slightly faster in warmer water. Scientists believe that by measuring how fast sound travels across the cooler "Deep Sound Channel" in comparison with its speed in other parts of the ocean, they can detect a global warming trend.

The noise about noise
Whales sing low and loud. Their sounds travel thousands of miles. Blue whales off Newfoundland can be heard in Puerto Rico, said Dr. Christopher W. Clark, a principal investigator of both ATOC and LFA's mammal research. Not by humans, whose ears are made for air and who rely more on vision anyway, but by sonar detectors, and presumably by whales.

Whales depend on hearing the way humans depend on sight. They use their sonar to find food, detect enemies, attract mates and know where their children are.

Scientists say low-frequency sonar, if loud enough, has the potential to drown out the whales so they can't hear what they need to. Whales listening intently for the quiet swish of a school of fish may go hungry. A 3-month-old whale who leaves his mother's side to begin to explore his world may not hear her calling to him and may never find her again.

It could do other damage, too.

Very loud sounds can rip ear, lung and other vibrating tissues. A sound wave is a pressure wave; that's why you can sometimes feel your body vibrate during loud, low sounds. When body tissues resonate with the sound's frequency, the pressure increases.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The impact of a sonic disturbance varies with the animal's distance from the sound source.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeated exposure to moderately loud sounds can damage human ears, as rock musicians have learned.

Even milder sounds can be annoying, stressful, distracting (picture the golfer about to swing) or confusing.

Some sounds attract whales toward boats, making them more vulnerable to collision.

Sometimes whales fall silent. Sperm and pilot whales stopped "singing" (using their active sonar) altogether during a 220 decibel test in 1991, some of them for days, which meant they were not eating during that time.

Whales may fall silent to hide from their sharp-eared predators (killer whales, or orcas). Because silence evolved as their survival response, they hush at any strange noise.

When they're not using their active sonar, whales are not courting potential mates, and they may not be finding food. Deep-water whales, the kind with teeth, are thought to use echolocation (active sonar) for navigation and hunting.

Sounds booming at regular intervals also could interfere with whales' sleep. Little is known about how whales and dolphins sleep, except that they must surface to breathe. "In humans, prolonged or repeated noises can cause difficulties in falling asleep, changes in sleep patterns, and awakenings," says the often-cited book "Marine Mammals and Noise" by W. John Richardson et al.

Chronic noise may lead to high blood pressure in humans, and strong noise can affect reproduction and rearing of young in land animals, Richardson's book adds.

Repeated stress can take a toll on an animal's immune system, leaving it more vulnerable to parasites and other infections.

Extreme stress or panic may cause whales to lose their way and wash up on beaches; or their disorientation may result from damage to their hearing or another aspect of their navigational sonar system.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2165
that is some interesting reading, pretty cool stuff.

could you imagine what a 220db sound wave underwater would feel like/do to you? lol

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3973
thats exactly what I was thinking. Like your equalibrium isnt screwed up enough under water but throw that into the mix lol.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3086
I've got it!
I'll just fill the back of my truck with water, and put a whale back there!
hahaha I feel a new world record coming on!

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3976
hahahahahahahahaha thats some funny SH!T Taylor!

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3088
You know the whale in seaworld?
What would happen if you jumped in the tank with it... and he let out a nice blast of 200 DB's, just trying to have a friendly conversation?:-)
You think it would nock you out, and dround, or just kill you?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3977
thats a pretty good question! what I wanna what I wanna know is could it break the glass?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3090
Hmmm, nother good question.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3092
I don't see why it shouldn't... unless its like bullet proof or something.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3978
yeah it prob is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
wow this thread should be named underwater dbdrag lol.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3105
Lol yeah, kind of got off the topic.

Username: Idiotwithpower

Post Number: 5
lets water proof all our subs, go diving, and have underwater spl contests. i bet you could hit alot lower notes too, lol. bye the way, I'm out in LaCrosse WI, and Soundworld out here had there anual contest and a friend of a friend got second place with just under 189 db, i never herd what first hit.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3109
You'd have to water proof more than the subs... how are they going to get power? lol

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 380
"Here's one at what db does your typical auto-grade glass "break"? Since we all know that front windows don't shatter like typical windows are they tougher to break? Do you have to hit a certain Hz. to break it? (I am sure everyone has heard of the high c note breaking glass)...Just wondering since were all getting so scientific...LOL"

Its not really a high C note that does it, thats just the famous example with the opera singer, lol.

You can break glass or whatever if you play a certain freq. The freq has to be the same as that of the resonant freq of the atom in the object. Basically the freq at which the atoms are moving around in the glass has to be the same as the note your playing. When this happens the glass will break.

Its not easy to do this in a car bc the glass isnt pure, it has other materials added to it, thus making it hard to match one resonant freq. when there are actually many resosant freq. to match.

In a car, it will prolly only be amplitude that will crack the glass.

Bronze Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 76
if there is enough pressure form the inside the glass should break, ppl i know have only either broken very large windows like rear windows or side windows in a van or there very small windows. and if there is hard enough vibrations im sure it will break.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3117
I'm sure if you had a whale in you're car the glass would break.:-) haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us