Liquid cooling systems

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 632
Has anyone here ever installed a water cooling system for amplifiers? I'm not actually interested in doing this, I just need a good 12V water pump for an engineering design product, so I am basically looking for a pump recomendation. I'm looking into marine pumps, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this stuff. Thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 315
I had to do a design project last semester that needed a water pump, but it wasnt 12VDC.

You should call West Coast Customs, they did that water fall install on P!mp My Ride. ROFL!!!

Silver Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 183
i looked on ebay under computers. typed in cooling pump and seen a few 12v pumps. thanks for the idea. i'm gonna drill holes in my fosgate amp and run the water hoses through them.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1168
this is the one scott buwalda used in his altima.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001 &langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=143420

bought all his parts from here:
http://www.xioxide.com

for a radiator he used a transmission cooler. the tubing is 3/8" poly tubing from home depot

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1513
It really depends on the design product.

I have some experience with marine pumps and design projects with 18 years experience as a boat captain and a good many Ocean Engineering courses under my belt.

If you could give me an idea about the project I might be able to help. Basically we need to determine the required flowrate(gph) and head(psi) required to satisfy your needs.

-Fishy

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 639
thanks everyone for your help so far. This pump is going to used to spray a saline solution on a concrete model roadway under sub-zero conditions and simulated precipitaion. very little flowrate is minimal, I'm only going to be using about a liter of solution over half an hour total. I haven't determined the psi needed but i'm assuming that unless I buy a take the pump out of a fish tank filter, i'll have way more pressure than I need. To get the desired flow out of my anti-icing system, I was going to play around with different intervals of pumping vs. not. (like pump for 1 second, stop for 1 second, etc.) any help would be aprreciated.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1515
If it doesn't have to be 12v:

Water Pik

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html/002-4856099-2705661?me=&node=3760931&keywor ds=water%20pik

Maybe run it through a rheostat to control flow rate:

http://www.dimmers.net/credenza_lamp_dimmer.asp

Any type of commercially available marine pump would be major overkill.

:P

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1516
Actually when thinking about it I'm not sure a rheostat would work. It would decrease voltage to the PIK's motor but would still be providing 60 Hz AC. This wouldn't decrease RPM any unless the the thing uses some sort of DC motor. I'm not really sure how a Water Pik works but wouldn't be surprised if it consisted of diaphragm pump connected to a simple oscillating deal like is found in aquarium air pumps.

Glass knows more about the electrical stuff and would probably have some good ideas.

However, a Water Pik's flowrate is minimal so if exact control isn't necessary it might work out great for your application w/o the rheostat. 2 liters/hr is defintely not a whole lot.

-Fishy

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 640
Actually I had thought of a water pik but didn't feel like spending that much money on this project :-) It does have to be eventually have to be run off a battery, though. But I can use an inverter if necessary. I like the lamp dimmer idea. Maybe something like that, but for 12v accessories with the relatively cheap galley pump mikechec9 recommended would be a way to go.

thanks fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1517
Yeah the galley pump is probably your best bet, buts it may be difficult to limit flowrate to 2 l/hr. Maybe run it at 3 or even 1.5 volts with tiny, tiny sprinkler orifices.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us