Little water problem, need some help

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 441
well on the way home today, i turn up the stereo and notice the 6.5 mid on the passenger side is sounding awful. so i get home, pop of the door panel and the speaker cone has gotten wet in all the rain i've had here over the past 2 or 3 days. the speaker still works, but when i turn it up to a certain point, the cone flexes and it sounds all distorted.

this is the 6.5 from a set of CDT HD 642 3 ways btw.

i was wondering if the speaker is ruined and i need to purchase another set of mids or do you think it will harden back up once dried and be ok??

also, how can i keep this from happening again without getting foam baffles that will kill the air space for the speaker?? do you think getting a pair of foam baffles but cutting the bottom half out to keep the air space, but leaving the top to will keep the water off will work??

any help would be great, thanks!!

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 444
replacement CDT HD 6.5 woofers are $180 from CDT. but for about $100 or so more, i can get a set of JL XR 3 ways. that would make everything in my car JL Audio too. i've read on the forums before that the XR's are comparable to the HD's. Think its worth the extra money to go ahead and get the JL's?? if i decide to do that, i'll have some CDT stuff for sale.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 333
the JLs do hold their own to the HDs.

Once the woofer cone drives it wont be the same as before and probably wont produce as good of SQ, if not horrible at that. Now that your HDs are probably trashed, id go with the JLs, especially so everything is JL, lol.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 445
lol, yeah, it stopped raining today finally and they are dry but the cone still flexes since its creased now (looks funny when you play it, lol). i think i'm gonna just go with the JL's, i've heard the 2 ways and had a friend who had the 3 ways and said they sounded great, has same tastes in sound as i do, so hopefully they will work out.
Just can't see spending $200 to get a part of a speaker system when i can get a whole system for $300 ya know??

anyways, so now i have...
a pair of CDT 1 inch silk tweeters, a pair of 4 inch HD woofers, an extra 6.5 inch HD woofer, ES/HD 300 Crossover set, a set of Sub Net 642 crossovers, and a set of Sat Net 642 crossovers. but on the Sat Net one, one of the inductor leads came loose, so it needs to be soldered back and it should be fine. if anyones interested in any of it, let me know, i'll prob put it on ebay or something.

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 68
Bump... I'm interested in the answer to this as well... what do people do for rain protection?

How about those speaker baffles, and cut them in half, so they only sit above the speaker, not enclosing it?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 448
idk, still no replies to that part. i'm gonna try and find some for cheap, cut the bottom half off so anything that hits the top will run away from the speaker. origionally there was a really shallow plastic baffle on the stock speakers, but theres no way i could use it for anything. kinda makes me mad cuz i've had several sets of speakers in there and they were all cheaper then these and none of them got messed up.

also, if anyone is interested in any CDT parts (listed in previous post) i'm gonna be listing everything on ebay soon. email me at theelfkeeper at charter.net and we can work something out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us