1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Infinity sound. Need speaker advice.

Username: Legato

Wallington, New Jersey United States

Post Number: 1
I recently aquired a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee from a relative at a great price. It has the Infinity gold stereo system with 6 1/2 inchers in all doors. Since the truck is 8 years old, and I don't think my uncle ever blasted the radio, those stock speakers did not last long. They still have decent sound, but crackle with bass. I have been having trouble trying to find exactly what kind of speakers I should go with. I am content for now with the stock amp and head unit. I just need to figure out what speakers to go with. I am only so keen with stereo systems, and I do not know what to buy. 2 way? 3 way? 4 way? I would like something I could just plug in and go. I read somewhere that the rear two are bass? Should I buy different ones for the front and rear? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Chris.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 278
Go with a regular 2 way coaxial system, thats about as plug and play as it comes. No the rear speakers arnt any different from the fronts generally speaking. Subs are for Bass (~80Hz and below)

Username: Legato

Wallington, New Jersey United States

Post Number: 2
Does the impedance matter? I read that the stock amp runs at 2 ohms. Does this mean I should only run 2 ohm speakers? Most I see are 4 ohms. Thanks for the advice so far.

Silver Member
Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 156
I have a 1997 ZJ as well

adding the Infinity 6000cs 6.5" components to front a back doors with tweets in top of door made a huge difference and was a breeze to do.

Take a look at the Audiocontrol LC6 (or something like it). It allows you to keep your stock source and add/replace speakers and amps...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us