Old dog stepping back into the game...

Username: Tbonez

Post Number: 1
I want to build a small system in my day to day driver. I use to install and compete a while ago. Can anyone tell me if I on the right path with today technology? Keep in mind this is going to be in a small car. I would like to keep it simple and somewhat cheap as I will not be competing...

6.5 components (Resonant engineering, Polk, kicker)

1 or 2 10inch sub - (Resonant engineering , Polk or kicker)

Head unit ( alpine or Eclipse)

Amps (Polk or kicker)

Please let me know if there are brands that will compete with these for the price and if these are still good brands...

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 984
My opinion:
components: all equal (maybe Alpine?)
subs: RE (Eclipse?)
HU: either one
Amp: Kicker

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 671
as far as components go:

the kicker SS i would expect to be better due to its price tag. Nobody really knows about them because they are so expensive. Become friends with someone from circuit city and you can get the ss65.2 for $280. My friend has 2 pairs of them and 2 pairs of the ss30 tweeters powered by an infinity amp and they are very punchy and smooth. The tweeters go so low by tweeter standards (1.3K hz i believe) so it allows for less distortion, better integration for better imaging. I liked the sound from them a lot.

Polks are pretty much on par with infinity's. Good for the money, but better is out there.

The RE's aren't out yet. Only the woofer is out and it doesn't include a crossover. It is also $260 shipped so when the set comes out, I'd expect it to be in the $400 range shipped which is a pretty penny

subs: RE, eclipse, adire audio, kicker...depending on whether you want SQ or SPL

AMP: kicker makes solid amps, especially the SX series. Again, become friends with someone from circuit city. It'll save you so much for good stuff. KX series is great for the money and underrated too. Very few people that i know of use polk's amps so i doubt they hold up very well. Most people just use their components.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 253
I agree with Jake

For the amp, you could also look to Eclipse (Ebay).

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10669
personal thoughts..
head unit, pioneer premier or eclipse
components, rainbow
subs, RE or ID
amplifiers, Zapco Reference or MB Quart Reference (good price, great amps)

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 113
by some chance does best buy sell those speakers you were talking about.. im about to order 2 RE SES and im still looking for some good speakers and i have a good friend who works at best buy and hes getting my a job there was we speak so soon ill have a discount there but im not familiar with their inventory as ill be working in the computer department

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
best buy does kicker and polk, but they dont do Rainbow.

Rainbow can only be sold by authorized dealers.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10682
Rainbow is way out of the league of best buy and circuit city and crutchfield et al..
you'd need to look at a high end car audio shop to find them. Rainbow is imported from Germany through Alumapro dealers, so find anyone who deals in Alumapro.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4606
GlassWolf, whatever happened to your friend Justin? Did he quit with the Rainbow idea?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
Yea, my wife keeps b1tching at me to get here some components... and she has some WAY nice MB Quart's in there that I think would look good in the Jeep...

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10689
He got tired of all the crap he was getting from that Don assmunch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1016
Don?

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
lol, that Don guy was a joke

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 535
Does anyone know any US retailers on the web for Rainbow equipment? I was looking around to start considering putting money aside for a comp set and I wanted to look at some prices.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4904
"Does anyone know any US retailers on the web for Rainbow equipment? I was looking around to start considering putting money aside for a comp set and I wanted to look at some prices."

Alumapro is Rainbows US distributor. Do a dealer search for Alumapro, and make SURE to call them ahead of time to see if they carry Rainbow. Many stores just carry things like their capacitors, Tweeter stores are an example.

Username: Tbonez

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all of the help....I am going to check the Eclipse amps out!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us