Suggestion for head/amp/component for $1500

Username: Aaronlo

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I have a Mitsubishi 2005 Lancer Evo with "premium" sound package, but the quality stock system just doesn't hold up to its name. (Does anyone know what kind of stock speakers are they?)

I want to get a full system with head unit/amp/component and I listen to Jazz and Blues, and occasionally some electronic stuff.

My local car audio guy recommend Boston Acoustics Pro60 + a Boston amp (not sure which one). I've also listened to Focal 165W and like it somewhat. Does anyone have any opinions on these speakers? Would they work with the kind of music I listen to?

They are also fairly pricey for the given budget. Do you have other suggestions? Also, what kind of head unit and amp would do best with these speakers (or other suggested speakers?).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Username: Aaronlo

Post Number: 3
BTW, I look for both clarity and imaging. Which one would you pick and why?

Bronze Member
Username: Brandonk17

Post Number: 29
A full system would involve a lot more then HU/amp/component... but that is a good start...

for an HU i would look into alpine and eclipse... pioneer premier would be another option as well...

as far as components go CDT or JL would probably do you good... if you wanted higher end speakers then rainbow, focal, morel would be the way to go... if you go with those i would encourage you to read up on them in other threads on this forum as they require more time and energy then others to get their full potential...

the amp really depends on the components that choose... figure out what you are looking into and narrow it down a little then we can help you match up a quality amp with your components... some brands to look into however are kicker, re, mmats, mb quart...

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 257
Dont get CDT if your target is imaging, those Focals would suite you better, however kickpods are a must.

HU either of the 3 that brandon mentioned would do but you should spend no less than $300.

For amps, the RE 12.1 isnt going to be applicable for components. Dont bother with MB Quart as well because theyre getting mo!ested by low end audio corporations and who knows if quality is gunna get sacraficed.

If your running Focal speakers i wouldnt bother with kicker, theyre good but you could do better.

mmats would be good like the LM2025, also look at Zapco.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 258
i didnt finish that post cause we had a fire drill in my dorm, lol

Look at Arc Audios amps too, either the KAR or XXK.
I think the XXKs are sexy, but both are quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us