Confused about ohms...

Username: Davey_n

Post Number: 1
I know this has been addressed before, but i couldn't find an answer to my question. I'm looking at buying a JL Audio 10w3-D6 because i found a good deal on it. I don't plan on using any other subs with it. Now my question is does it matter that it's 6ohm, since i'm not wiring it to anything else? Will I lose performance from not getting an 2ohm? What would be best? And could someone recommend an amp to power it at a reasonable price?

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 28
Well I believe that's a DVC (Dual Voice Coil) which means you will have (2)6 ohm voice coils. The total impedance (or ohms) presented to the amplifier will be either 3ohms (if wired in parallel) or 12ohms (if wired in series). These are uncommon numbers for most audio systems but certainly not un-useable. Personally I prefer to evaluate what the speaker can handle RMS wise and then look for an amp that can produce that RMS rating at the specified ohms...does that help?

Most amp ratings are at 4ohm and/or 2ohm but some go to 1ohm...so 3 ohm is somewhere in between 4 and 2.

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 29
Another note I might add is I believe the DVC 6ohm subs are usually used in sets of 3...

I like this calculator it's really simple to use...

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1127
I think Glass it was who very recently said JL came up with 3ohm subs for the very purpose of ppl wanting to fit 3 sub systems in their rides so the calculations work out to even numbers making life simpler in that scenario .....

Silver Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 115
If you do end up using that sub wired for 3 ohms make sure amp is stable for that. You will probably need one that says stable at 2 ohms because the amp will overheat if it's only stable for four ohms

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3944
that sub I believe is 300rms so what you are gonna need to make this simple is a amp that is stable at 2ohms mono that puts out 200x1 @ 4ohms and 400x1 @ 2ohms which will put out 300x1 @ 3ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1158
I just came up with the solution & its so simple that i wonder why i didn't think of it b4 .

PHOENIX GOLD Amps - its circuitry adjusts itself to between 1-4ohms so the same amt of wrms power is outputed @ ANY ohm load .......

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3949
yeah JL audio does it as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us