Subwoofer motors

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 514
Ok, I have a few questions about the motors of subwoofers.

#1. Does the more power you give (closer to the recommended RMS power) the sub mean that the motor will produce a louder, deeper tone? For example, I will be going from an Alpine running 100rms to each RE12 with the gains cranked to a Kicker 240rms to each sub with the gains lower. Will the Kicker be that much louder?

#2. Does the motor become more in control thus improving the sound quality when more watts RMS are given?

I am clueless on this part of a subwoofer.

Anonymous

if you "crank" the gains, and your HU puts out a relatively high voltage, you will clip the amp. The gain is not a volume...

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 515
bump, I realize that

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2072
no, the more power you give it, the closer it plays to its linear excursion limit. i think

of course, with the more power, the louder the sub will play, and the louder it plays, the louder the lower tones sound.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2073
i think that you will not increase SQ by giving it more power, i think it has the same SQ regardless of the Recommended RMS range, but if you go below that, the sub doesn't play to its potential. but i could be wrong, i haven't had my daily cup of joe yet. lol

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2074
yes, the kicker will be louder.
you are doubling the power.:-)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2075
sorry bout all the sequential posts, i am in class.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 250
i think you will notice a better SQ only becuase its louder, like say if you have your volume low, it doesnt sound bad because your not sending it power, but if you turn it up its really the same SQ its just that you can here it better so you think its more SQ.......hmmmm confusing

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10675
more power means more amplitude, so more output in a given setting.

the motor's design and BL curve of the driver determine how well controlled the driver is, in addition to the damping factor of the amplifier itself.

its not so much that more power gives the motor more control of a driver, but drivers that have very good BL curves for SQ tend to be less efficient, so they require more power to get equal output.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us