Wiring 2 channel amp to dual voice coil subs at 4 ohms

Username: Melody25

Chesapeake, OH USA

Post Number: 1
Hi, can someone tell me how I should wire 2 dual voice coil subs to a 2 channel amp at a 4ohm load

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 121
Ya i have dual voice coil 4ohm per coil subs.

Way i wired it was Neg - Neg and Pos - Pos since there are 2 sets of terminals on one sub right? Then from there i took one Neg and one Pos to the box side where i connected wires comming in from the amp and do that for the other side aswell.

Chesapeake, OH USA

Post Number: 2
Thanx, the subs I have can't handle the rms of my amp. So, I'm hoping that by going with a 4 ohm load it will help protect my subs.

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 125
HU Settings:

Bass +12
Trebel +12
Sub Lvl +4db (max +/-6db)
Sq Set 60hz+6 (can be +12 or 0)
LPF Hz 80
HPF Hz 180

Amp Settings:
Amp level is about same as HPF if not jus a tad higher

LPF about 25% \ like that on the amp scale to the left so you can turn it up more but its on the left side.

HPF about 65-70% / to the right of the adjust knob.

Freq Amp set: Low

This is how mines is set so i dont know if its good or not but sounds alright but amp gets pretty hot.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 226
If your sub cant handle the RMS power than your right in wanting to wire the sub in such a way that the amp "sees" a higher impedance.

Whether its 2ohm DVC or ohm DVC, wire the sub the coils in Series, Pos to Neg, Pos to Neg. and Pos of one coil to pos on the amp, neg on the other coil to neg on amp. This will give you either a 4 or 8 ohm load to your amp and it will put out less power to your sub (P= V^2/R).

Dont wire them like CarAudio told you bc thats in parallel.

Chesapeake, OH USA

Post Number: 3
Thank you for the help. Mike, I am wiring as you suggested. Car Audio, if your amp is running hot then you're most likely pushing it to hard. Good luck with your system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us