TubeDriver Blue or Mcintosh?

Username: Richlaw

San Marcos, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen-
I have been reaing forums for years and truly come to depend on them for suggestions and automotive know how-but this is the very first time I have ever joined a forum...Anyway, I am looking to purchase either a Tubedriver Blue 2150 or a Mcintosh amp? I had a US AMPS TU-4360 which I loved but I wanted to try something else, hence the DLS A4, great amp-yet I am curious about the two amps I mentioned before. So, I have humbly come before you...which would you choose and why?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4878
McIntosh. One is the build quality (I feel McIntosh is a bit better), two is because it is solid state. Whatever tubes can do in a piece of audio equipment, solid state can do it better, at lower cost, with higher reliability. The only way to justify a tube amp is if you have a swinging impedance (like electrostatic panels), drive the amplifier into clipping often, or just like the pretty tube glow. It just isn't worth tube replacement and rebiasing over time IMO.

San Marcos, TX USA

Post Number: 3
Jonathan,

The Mcintosh does seem to be built to a very high standard. I like hearing really strong deep vocals and the sound of acoustic guitar, so for me whatever amp can reproduce those sounds the best-is the one, unfortunately I don't have an opportunity to audition any of the amps in question.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4882
Either would give you the sound you want, the only time you'll hear a difference in sound is with either power variations or clipping. In some cases amplifiers are designed with a deliberate coloration to attract the buyer, but that isn't the case with the US Amp. That is the big deal with the tube vs. transistor debate, many amplifier designers put a lot of coloration into tube amps to give the "tube sound" that magazine articles boast about, but it could be applied to any solid state amplifier if the designer really wanted to do so.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4562
Richard, amp is one of the main piece to achieving SQ. That alone will not give the results you're looking for. However, it is a very important step.
I am positive, Jonathan can guide you towards the parts needed to complete the project.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4884
A good example of the above (solid state with intentional warmth added) are some designs by Bob Carver.

San Marcos, TX USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks everybody I really need some one to help me achieve....that perfect sound. As with regards to Bob Carver, what amps has he worked with?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us