My terrible (ongoing) experience with VW (immobilizer problem)

Unregistered guest
I bought a 2000 VW gulf GLS a year and a half ago

About 6 months later the anti-theft device in the ignition started acting up (by that I mean the car would start and then immediately turn off - and no longer start.)

I first brought my car to the a local VW dealership. They told me the problem was with the catalatic converder, as well as the J-gasket and service to the throttle body. I paid them for these repairs (the catalactic converter being the only repair under warantee), but after only a couple of weeks the same problem occured. I promptly informed VW, but I felt they were being shady/dishonest with me.

Thus, I decided to take my car to another VW dealership - in total I ended up having to deal them three times for this one problem. First, they told me that the "actual" problem was that my car's ignition cylinder was not recognizing my key (the chip inside the key). In order to fix this problem I agreed to pay for this expense. The same day I picked-up my car, the same problem happened. I immediately informed them of this, and returned my car to them. They than contacted me and told me that I now needed to replace my car keys (buy two new keys). Shortly thereafter, they contacted me again and further told me that to "correctly" repair the problem I also needed a new imobilizer wire harness. For the second time, I paid them for these "corrective" repairs.

Than, after approximately 3 months, the same initial problem reoccured. (Their "correct" solution did not fix my car's initial problem.) I than returned my car to their dealership for a third time.

At that point, I became very fustrated/upset with how I was being treated, so I than decided to contacted VW Canada about this issue. In doing so I was given a reference number and a "promise" that my car would be fixed once and for all. I was than contacted by the Martin Grove VW dealership and was advised that "final solution" was simply to replace my car battery. However, yet again, after just a week, the same problem reoccured.

(Essentially, all of thei repair solutions I paid for did not fix my car!! And throughout these service repairs, Martin Grove VW always refused to provide me with any written guarentee for their work.)

I informed VW Canada of this. After much discussion over the telephone, I asked that they offer to reimburse me for my repair bills (since my car's problem was never fixed), but they refused to do so. Furthermore, VW Canada could not even tell me where I could/should take my car to get this "properly" repaired.

In all, I've ended up visiting two VW dealership, as well contacting VW Canada, and have paid four times to have a single problem with my car "unsuccessfully" fixed!! (To this day my car's inital problem with the key/anti-theft device persists!!)

In total, all I've spent $1850 on fixing this problem, plus an additional $800 on taxis and rental cars (I was never given one) and $1250 on towing costs.

Right now, my car does not start and I can no longer afford to pay for any further repairs.

please help me. I don't know what to do anymore, I don't even know were to get my car fixed - nor do I know what the problem with my car is.

I NEED HELP.

Unregistered guest
Not sure I can help but the following information may help the make more informed descision when dealing with a service person.

The VW immobilizer system (most likely Immobilizer 2)is comprised of the following components.

First the Ignition key has an RF transponder that when placed in close proximity to the pick up coil in the ignition switch housing will send a code to the instrument cluster. This is very similar to access cards for entry into business spaces.

The instrument cluster must be correctly coded with the specific ignition key code for the system to operate. From there the instrument cluster communicates with the Engine computer (ECU) to allow the engine to operate.

If any part of the system does not function perfectly then the engine shuts off after 1-2seconds.

Since all the typical idiot dealer ideas did not solve the problem one has to take a more in depth approach.

The problem could be anywhere in the system I described.

1. The RF pick up coil and/or its wiring in the ignition switch could be bad.
2. The instrument cluster and/or its wiring could be bad.
3. The engine ECU and/or its wiring could be bad.
4. The key could be bad but you already changed this.
5. Proper power to one of the immobilizer components could be problematic.

The best solution is to find a VW tuning shop that does modifications. They will have a diagnostic tool that will at least determine if any obvious errors are stored. Also they should be able to check if the key matches with the instrument cluster. Remember the key sends a code to the instrument cluster. If all is OK a message is sent to the ECU to say it is OK to operate.

Your problem sounds like an intermittent one which can be hard to diagnose but since you now say the car will no longer start then some component has failed which should make it somewhat easier.

I would contact a local VW tuning shop and discuss your problem. It will cost some money but at least they have a more vested interest in helping you out. Be sure to describe any annomalies with any electrical system in the car as this may be a clue.

I am currently dealing with the same problem except I'm doing an engine swap into an older car so I don't have all the components. I will either buy an ECU that does not include an immobilizer $500, buy a new cheap instrument cluster and a cheap valet key approx. $250, or buy an ECU chip tuning upgrade with the immobilizer disabled $500. Most of these solutions came from VW forums VWvortex.com and VW tunings shops in my case.

As you can see things are not cheap and I have a diagnostic tool for reading and programming to some degree.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Username: Catalin

Surrey, BC Canada

Post Number: 5
I'm sorry to hear such a sad story Rafi... It's a shame that these high [riced so called dealership technicians can't really do crap. I think they should go back to being called mechanics because unfortunatelly they really are parts changers. Some select few of course know what their talking about but most are hopeless when it comes to troubleshooting.
As Go suggested, see a shop that specializes in Volswagen and if they claim to be able to fix the problem don't pay them till you know the car works. OR I have another solution for you.... an aftermarket by-pass module installed to by-pass the immobilizer full time. These modules are usually used to bypass the immobilizer during remote starting BUT there is one that you can use to by-pass it full time.
It doesn't need an existing working key and it will automatically program itself to your vehicle.
If you were anywhere near me I could get it done for you. The best thing to do is locate a local car audio shop and present this to them and see if their willing to do it. The module is probably anywhere from $50 to $75 plus install.

gluck

Anonymous

do you have aftermarket air intake? if so check harness that runs on driver side fender down by battery for wear .common problem

SciroccoJohn
Unregistered guest
Doesn't sound like a key problem, or cat problem to me. sounds more like a fuel pump problem. Owning 6 Sciroccos,1 Corrado and a 2005 Jetta, I've had fuel pump relays go out. Sounds exactly what they do too when they go out. Just.. die. Usually if it's an intake issue it will shutter, or shake then die. Without that fuel pressure it just dies.
As I have already written Raffi, let me do some research and then get them back on the road. VW is NOT a bad car company.

SciroccoJohn
Unregistered guest
Doesn't sound like a key problem, or cat problem to me. sounds more like a fuel pump problem. Owning 6 Sciroccos,1 Corrado and a 2005 Jetta, I've had fuel pump relays go out. Sounds exactly what they do too when they go out. Just.. die. Usually if it's an intake issue it will shutter, or shake then die. Without that fuel pressure it just dies.
As I have already written Raffi, let me do some research and then get them back on the road. VW is NOT a bad car company.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us