Jl audio tutorial question

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1002
okay i watched the input sensitivity (gain) setting tutorial and i get it all except for the fact that why do you set it to 63.2V for 4ohm and 44.7V for 2 ohm... isnt it suposed to push the same from 1.5-4 ohms? im sure it does but what is the difference between them? why is one higher than the other? is that saying that at 4 ohms the amp is running harder than at 2 ohms but th power is the same? ... hope u understand what im asking. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 124
yes but they go a step further and tell you exactly where to tune the amp to stop all clipping issues you will have.....the amp will put out the same power regardless of the ohm load but it needs to be setup for each load it is going to encounter to prevent clipping!!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4876
"i get it all except for the fact that why do you set it to 63.2V for 4ohm and 44.7V for 2 ohm... isnt it suposed to push the same from 1.5-4 ohms? im sure it does but what is the difference between them? why is one higher than the other?"

Current flow is dependant upon impedance. Power (watts)= volts x amps. The more current, the less voltage required to produce the same power output. If the impedance is 4 ohm, less current will flow and a higher voltage is required. If it is 2 ohm, more current will flow, so less voltage needed. The JL switches voltage rails according to the load.

If it were a regular amp, the voltage would be the same regardless of impedance and the current would vary with impedance swings.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1003
thanks jonathan i get it now
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us