Need component+amp suggestions. Budget = $1000

Username: Phlipcyde

Palmer, Alaska United States

Post Number: 5
I'm pretty satisfied with the bass I'm getting out of my 15" xxx (for now), but I think now it's time to replace my poor stock speakers in my 2000 neon and be able to hear some lyrics with my bass. I do not know a whole lot about components and such so I was hoping to get some suggestions from people who do. I want something that can keep up in volume with my woofer and be able to kick out some decent midbass. I listen to hip hop for the most part, but do play some rock/metal on occasion. I'm looking at a budget of about $1000 for the components and amplifier. Any help would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Yada

Post Number: 22
$1000 is a nice budget. I'd go with zapco and infinity perf kap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZAPCO-C2K2-5X-4-CHANNEL-AMP-NEW-IN-BOX-4-x-50-2-x-150_W0QQit emZ5815702057QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-KAPPA-PERFECT-6-1-6-5-COMP-CAR-SPEAKER_W0QQitemZ581 3984610QQcategoryZ32819QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 214
with a $1000 dollar budget you can do wayyy better than infinity. Thats like a millionaire driving around a honda civic. Its not necessarily bad but you have the budget to do way better.

If your going to glass some kickpannels which i recommend you do, look at some mid line rainbows, focal, morel, Dynaudio,DLS. If their going in the factory door location then look to CDT.

For amps, go for JL, Arc or you could do Zapco. I would recommend buying the speakers first, then find a good quality amp to power them. Spending $500 on each would be a pretty good compromise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
That Zapco amp in the link above is nice.

The CDT HD-62s will take up that other $500.

Bronze Member
Username: Ologyaudio

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 11
http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showthread.cfm?tid=20377
Review vs EDi6500s (rebadged CDT HD)

Figure that could be usefull... if nothing else I'd say rainbow over CDT or focal or morel or dls... only question is dynaudio and thats personal preference -- and that is if you don't consider my sets ;) than again I'm bias...

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
I would take rainbow/Focal/Morel over CDT as well. However im pretty sure i read that CDT isnt as picky about its installation which makes them a good candidate for stock locations. right?

Jonathon should know this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
So Dylan, you just buy off the shelf drivers and build your own Xovers and then sell them.

Whats your typical Xover config, high octive Linkwitz-Riley?

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
From Jon himself-
"CDT is quite good in their designs, but they're more inclined to those that can't/won't go far with the install. Go to a competition and see if competitors are using their front component/front fill/rear fill/upstage/centerstage image "solution". Doubtful."

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 12
Yep I'm using off the shelf drivers -- and designing a nice xover for them and selling them... I don't shoot for any transfer function goal -- however the component sets so far have worked out the best using a 4th order filter... I tried a lot of different designs before settling on the one I used -- the goal here was to create as even a power response as possible -- low xover point -- higher Q... I messed with some elliptical designs that also turned out very nice... but they weren't superior to my ear atleast... It took me about a month to work out the Dayton RS design. I'm only using off the shelf drivers until I have enough money to have some custom drivers made :-) It is always fun starting up without much capital...

Post Number: 6
I appreciate all the suggestions you guys have made so far. It seems that if I want to get the most for my money ill have to try making some kickpanels. I've worked with fiberglass a couple times, enough to know what a pain it is, and I've seen a couple online tutorials on making custom kickpanels so I believe I can do it myself given enough time. I do have a couple question though, on the tutorials I have seen, the tweeters are in the kickpanel with the mid, is this how it should be done? Seems like the tweeters should be placed higher. Also, how should the speaker be aimed? I appreciate your guys input on this stuff, I've always been more of a basshead and never paid attention to this stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4891
"I would take rainbow/Focal/Morel over CDT as well. However im pretty sure i read that CDT isnt as picky about its installation which makes them a good candidate for stock locations. right?"

Yup. CDTs are nice, but more inclined to those that aren't going the extra mile on an install. Dynaudio and Rainbow are in a class of their own if you're looking for neutrality and a clear, warm, natural sound. Focals are pretty good if that's your taste, but I haven't missed the Utopias for a minute after getting my System 360 . So smooth and airy, makes you think about running your hand through water, soft, smooth, clear :-).

Post Number: 7
How does Morel stack up with those other companies like dynaudio and rainbow? I was calling around for prices and the Morels seemed to be more in my range, $500 for the Dotech MKII and $530 for the hybrids, as opposed to somewhere in the $700 range for the dynaudio components. Wish I could go out and listen to this stuff, but unfortunatly there are no dealers for the good stuff up here in Alaska.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4892
Morel is very similar to Dynaudio. More low end, not quite as natural. A little more attack in the midbass region, more forward in the midrange, tweeter has a bit more top end (for the most part). Keep in mind that the differences are very subtle, if you like one, you'll like the other.

Post Number: 8
I appreciate the help Jonathan. I think I'll go ahead and go with the Morel's since they have a dealer close to my brother, the Dynaudio's sound nice, but its a bit above what I'm looking to spend. I think I'll go with a 2 way system to keep things somewhat easier. Where should I put the tweeters though? Should they go in with the kickpanel, in the stock dash locations, or on the pillars?

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
Jon,

What part of the CDT design makes it more effective for stock locations rather than Dynaudio/Rainbow/Morel. Is it the desing of the Tweeter?

Silver Member
Username: Bobo123

Post Number: 122
I think this will help Mike.

This was my question to Jonathan.

"Does this mean that speakers with steeper slope crosovers such as 24db/oct (CDT satnet 480 with a cl 61/62)will allow me to have less than perfect positioning (stock door 2002 taurus) with a decent result? Thanks."

And his answer.

"Yup. CDT designs their systems more to the average installer. With a steeper slope, the drivers modulate each other less and the off axis dispersion is much better due to that. Also minimizes beaming (directionality) and the driver lobing isn't as bad."

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4894
"Jon,

What part of the CDT design makes it more effective for stock locations rather than Dynaudio/Rainbow/Morel. Is it the desing of the Tweeter?"

The elliptic crossovers mainly. The midbass drivers have very good off axis dispersion as well.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 14
Morel is having some QC issues at the moment atleast with the raw drivers... lower sensitivity very high Q -- like 1.1 when they are supposed to be much lower... lol So I'd avoid them till they get it worked out.

Anonymous

Jonathan / how does Image Dynamics CXS62 Chamoleons compare to the sets mentioned ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us