Eclipse AVN5435...Is it worth it?

Username: Big_b

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 1
I am about to waste my money on a Eclipse AVN5435 to go in my GMC Envoy b/c it fits flush in my dash. The problem is it costs about $2000. There are only a authorized retailers here in my area and they all are charging the same price and won't cut a deal with me. My question is: Is this system really worth the money...AND how can I get this system cheaper while not voiding the warranty from Eclipse?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1913
You really don't want to get a single-DIN unit with a flip screen of which fits with an installation kit?

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 2
No. After talking to a few installers I decided on the double-DIN. For one, I wants it to look like it belongs. For two, with one of the single-DIN units, when they raise up it would cover my air vents. Plus I have heard stories of the motor burning out, or them getting stuck in one position or another.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1914
If you mounted it on the bottom it shouldn't impede the vents too badly...

That Eclipse could have flex ribbon problems from that huge motorized face. In fact, the motor for that face is likely to have problems as well.

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 4
Yeah I have been informed about that also. I really don't know what to do. I like the double-DIN looks, but I hate the price. I hate the fact of my vents being covered by the single-DIN and it looking totally after-market(my factory head unit is double-DIN), but I love the price. What do you think?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1916
I agree, the single-DIN does look fairly aftermarket in contrast to the double-DIN.

Have you checked out the Pioneer AVIC-D1?

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 5
I looked at it, and the one that Kenwood makes. After speaking with the guy at the stereo shop, I kinda fell for the Eclipse. Kinda thought he was trying to get money out of my pocket, then he started telling of the factory warranty on each, and the pre-amp outputs, and some things about the manufacturing I kinda began to see things his way. D@mn salesmen!!!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1917
The Kenwood probably is a piece of junk, heh.

What external components are you planning to run with the new unit?

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 6
Wow! Where do I begin. Well, for my front dash speakers I'm still deciding between a pair of Focal 165 k3p or MB Quart PCE 216, havent decided b/c the MB Quart is cheaper but the Focal sounds WAY! better. Back door speakers will be some lower end high sound speaker. I am intended to then run a pair of JL Audio 10w6v2 custom box, but someone else mentioned Memphis Audio subs and Amps for the same SQ and SPL, less price so I am looking into that know since that's probably about 3-4 mths down the road. I want to run the same amp as subs so I had been looking at a JL 1000/1 for the subs and 450/4 for the mid range and highs. What do you think? A head turning system?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1919
Yeah, that would definitely be a head turning system...

I would take the JL over the Memphis if I had the money...same about Focal, they're going to be worth it over the MB Quarts in the long run.

The setup looks great.

After doing some more research on the double-DIN headunits I see what the salesman meant with the difference between the Eclipse and Pioneer. The main one seems to be DVD video playback and the Eclipse has 5v preamp outputs as opposed to the Pioneer's 2v.

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 7
Well I guess I'll be going with that Eclipse then. Would I be playing with fire if I purchased the head unit from ebay as opposed to buying it from a true retailer? I have never used ebay before and it just kinda scares me.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1929
No, actually ebay can be very useful. Just make sure the buyer has a great deal of positive feedback (100+ with at least 90% being positive). Some sellers might still be able to offer the warranty...

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 8
Thanx alot. I think I'm gonna get most of the equipment off of ebay and have a place like Cartoys install. CarToys just charges too much for the equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us